Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Dull,dull skin! What works?-I want so much to glow!

(23 Posts)
dropinthe Fri 13-May-05 14:24:18

Even after giving up smoking over 2 months ago I still have got the dullest skin in the world.Have tried facials,exfoliating,flash balms,night cream but still look like a teenager on drugs!(am A respectable housewife of 36 not a spotty teenager1)
Any suggestion???

hunkermunker Fri 13-May-05 14:24:42

How much water do you drink a day?

sweetmonkey Fri 13-May-05 14:26:17

i have estee lauder illuminating lotion and boots do a pump tube which had liquid and bronzing pearls.when you pump the stuff out the pearls break up and give a lovely healthy appearance on skin. both really good ive found

dropinthe Fri 13-May-05 14:27:41

Not enough and KNOW that this is a solution but have trouble drinking much more than a litre a day!

dropinthe Fri 13-May-05 14:28:28

s/m-do they act like a fake tanner?

mancmum Fri 13-May-05 14:29:30

drinking water is the best thing for my skin plus vitamins (loads of C) - also have you read about the 3 day diet that helps your skin by Perricconne -- basically a low carb, high salmon diet that is fab... my skin looked great after I did it... you need to make sure you are getting loads of essential fatty acids in diet..

dropinthe Fri 13-May-05 14:31:45

Am not! What about supplements-any that work like Imedeen?

Blu Fri 13-May-05 14:32:06

And excercise.

sweetmonkey Fri 13-May-05 14:33:33

no not really. the estee lauder one just gives a pearly glow. i found one in superdrug the other day - there own brand vitamin e lotions and stuff and they do illuminating lotion too. only cost £1.99 a tube whereas EL one costs about 20 quid a bottle. (although has lasted ages)!!
so i now use the cheap one for work and the expensive one for weekend and evenings

PuffTheMagicDragon Fri 13-May-05 14:34:50

dropinthe, I think it takes a good while for improvements in your skin to show.

The exfoliating every day has been the thing that's improved mine, as well the regular cleansing and moisturising routine, drinking more water etc. Not all exfoliating products are ok for every day - I use dermalogica's daily microfoliant - I've had it for about 4 months, used religiously every day (boring I know), but it has made a big difference.

mancmum Fri 13-May-05 14:35:51

imdeen is way expensive from what I can see are just fairly ordinary vitamins... I would go for a good vitamin with extra EFAs... then force yourself to up the water and stick to strict skincare regime... my friend has just started using something from Space NK called Freeze (meant to be like Botox) and she looks amazing.... going to buy some for me!!

beansprout Fri 13-May-05 14:36:55

Skin works from the inside out - good diet and LOTS of water is the best option.

crunchie Fri 13-May-05 14:37:27

L'Oreal microdermabrasion really works for me, It does work and with teh £5 off voucher at boots (spend £10 get a £5 skincare voucher) it is just £8.99. Water is teh other thing, but it will take at least 3 or 4 months to renew all your skin after teh smoke effects

dropinthe Fri 13-May-05 14:42:11

Space NK-expensive!Superdrug-NOT! Will increase the water and the EPA's-havent got an exfoliator I could use daily-only weekly as have the T zone problem!
Exercise-I wish!

hunkermunker Fri 13-May-05 14:42:21

AND congratulations on giving up smoking! Good on you!

mancmum Fri 13-May-05 14:42:32

crunchie -- bought the micrderm stuff 2 months ago and forgetten to use it... on your recommendation now off to try it!!

dropinthe Fri 13-May-05 14:45:34

Cheers Hunker-am v pleased with myself-can breathe much better but obviously the oxygen isnt getting through to my skin!

noddyholder Fri 13-May-05 14:55:27

liz earle cleanse and polish makess your skin really glow you get it from qvc

flum Fri 13-May-05 14:55:59

ermmm, pregnancy?

puddle Fri 13-May-05 14:58:22

I use liz earle now (as recommended by mumsnet a couple of months ago) and it is fantastic! If you order off their website they send freebies too - their skin brightening stuff is good too. I have had loads of comments about general glowingness since starting using it. I do also drink 3 litres of water a day as well though......

dropinthe Fri 13-May-05 14:58:35

LOL Flum-had two of those-quite enough thank you!
Liz Earle-v expensive????

dropinthe Fri 13-May-05 14:59:21

3 litres a day? Must be pissing like an elephant?

puddle Fri 13-May-05 15:01:58

It's about £40 for cleanser and cloth, toner stuff and moisturiser. Lasts a long time. Has worked out cheaper than Clinique which I used to use.

Lol re: elephant. Your body gets used to it _ i don't go any more ofetn than most people

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: