Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

im worried ........

(18 Posts)
candyfluff Mon 22-Jun-09 14:53:37

had my second bout of bloody mucous /diareoh in a month last time i saw the gp and she said it was a tummy bug ,this time i have a sample pot so have just got a mate to drop it in to the surgery for me ,have taken dioclam not too much affect ,dh is working away and im here alone to lok after our 3 dc's ,im shaking ,scared -what could it be

jeminthedark Mon 22-Jun-09 14:54:53

Go back to GP?? Probably same thing, hope you are ok.

candyfluff Mon 22-Jun-09 15:00:30

im ok thanks,got to be !
got an appointment to see gp in the morning,last time it went on a good 4 hrs and i called nhs direct,saw gp the next day who gave me the sample pot,but it stopped so didnt take a sample that time,hence why i still had the sample pot.
ive had months of what my gp says is ibs but now im not so sure.

bunnyrabbit Mon 22-Jun-09 15:28:23

Hi Candyfloss,
There are many things it could be and most of them are minor and not serious so try not to get too anxious (easier said than done I know!!).

I have IBS and I must admit that when it gets yeuchy it ain't too pleasant and stressing tends to make it worse. I'm not sure that diacalm or immodium are that good if you don't know what it is. Tummy bug or food poisening then you're better to let your body get rid of whatever it is it doesn't like. Unless of course they make you feel better, then of course they're worth it.

Whatever it is (bug or not) then try to keep you're fluid intake up. This will help to pass anything through your system and stop you getting dehydrated if it's a prolonged bout.

Do you have any cramps/bloating? Do you feel nauseous at all?

If your finding it very uncomfortable to go to the toilet, try using some sudocrem/aqueos or vaseline so you are moisturising the 'sore' area and making it easier to clean yourself....

Not to be too presonal, but how much blood is there?

BR

candyfluff Mon 22-Jun-09 15:32:07

yes had pain and cramps for 3 days now ,today its been worse with shooting pains going down my back and a need to go straight away,very runny mucosy and bloody ,id say maybe a teasppon full each time

bunnyrabbit Mon 22-Jun-09 15:37:15

OK. I know it's difficult but try and calm yourself down. Whatever it is, stress is your worst enemy at the mo cos it makes the cramps worse and worrying kicks your body into overdrive. You're not used to what you're body is doing to you and I know that can be horribly scarey, but having had IBS for years I know how horrible it feels when you know you have to go now and can barely stop yourself.

When is DH back? Is there anyone who can some over and give you some company?

candyfluff Mon 22-Jun-09 15:43:56

he is back maybe tonight or tomorrow night just overnight then away agin until sunday.he has been away for 12 days so far.
do you bleed with your ibs?

bunnyrabbit Mon 22-Jun-09 16:14:51

I have had blood in the past but to be honest I don't know what the norm is and I'm really not sure you have IBS, although obviously I'm not a doctor.

A teaspoon of blood, although not a great deal in the grand scheme of things, seems a lot when you're lookig at it and can be very upsetting. How old are your DCs? Is there anyone who can come and give you some TLC?

I don't blame you for feeling scared... if you feel it is getting worse, or you start to feel any other symptoms (nausea, fever) and/or you can't wait until morning them you should ring the DR or NHS.

If not then try and bury your head in mundane routine and stop thinking about it. I know that's not easy but it may help to calm you down and ease the cramps.

Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Sorry but I'm going off line now but keep posting I'm sure someone else will post soon...

Let us know what happens at the DRs tomorrow.

BR

candyfluff Mon 22-Jun-09 16:35:13

bless you bunny,i think the dioclam has kicked in now.
i can call for my sister if its gets worse ,gonna put little ds to bed early then turn in myself .
my dc are 2,11 and 8
will let you know how i get on at gp tomorrow

bunnyrabbit Tue 23-Jun-09 11:32:59

How did you get on CF?

candyfluff Tue 23-Jun-09 19:58:21

the gp was rude to me as they always are
she said to me that joggers dont get ibs she may as well called me a fat cow out right,she wasnt concerned but has sent me for a load of bloods ,waiting for lab results on my sample,thankyou for checking up on me

bunnyrabbit Wed 24-Jun-09 09:10:05

Well she's talking b**cks. IBS has nothing to do with size. In fact, they don't even know what causes it. They know what some people's triggers are but not why people get IBS.

Anyway, at least they're doing tests.

Keep us posted...

BR

Bucharest Wed 24-Jun-09 09:12:24

"joggers don't get IBS" WTF? How dare she!
I'd complain.

Hope you're feeling better, and that the tests are OK. x

Jumente Wed 24-Jun-09 09:36:13

Have you had antibiotics recently? This sounds like some form of colitis. DO NOT take any further medication, your body is possibly trying to get rid of toxins and you need to let it do this or risk further complications.

Jumente Wed 24-Jun-09 09:39:35

Just seen this was last night, Candy if you have been on a-b's recently, make sure the gP is testing for C-difficile.

You need to keep sample refrigerated for a reliable result as the toxins die within a few hours and won't be detected. It's a tricky one to test for and they usually require three samples.

Hope it isn't that. It could also be crohns or something similar. Doesn't sound like IBS at all, you're not supposed to get bleeding with IBS and tbh it sounds very like the c-diff I had once. It can be treated but you do need to sort it out.

Hope you're feeling better.

candyfluff Wed 24-Jun-09 13:41:23

had my bloods taken today and sample was sent off yesterday,stools are back to normalish for me but still a little blood and mucous,still got tummy ache ,
havent been on any ab's so not that ,my kids havent had a tummy bug so dont think its a tummy bug .
i always thought that any blood from your back passage should be investigated?
havent taken anymore diocalm coz if it is a bug its need to run its corse.
so fed up with doctors they always make me feel like im wasting their time

Jumente Wed 24-Jun-09 15:42:45

Your Dr sounds horrid sad sorry you have got one like that.

I was trying to think of the name of the other thing, it's ulcerative colitis - that can cause what you have got. Bacially your colon is really inflamed for some reason - ould be a bacteria, could be a more chronic (that means it goes on for a bit) type thing. Either way they MUST investigate it sharpish as it can escalate into a dangerous condition.

I hope you get an answer soon - fwiw if they are testing for c-diff they'll be onto you like a shot if it comes back positive as it's a superbug and needs sorting.

Hopefully it isn't that though - without being on a/b's you're unlikely to have it - unless you work in a care home or a hospital?

candyfluff Mon 29-Jun-09 11:14:28

just an update -
got my results back and the stool sample was normal??????????????????????
and my bloods were normal ,bar one -i have high colesterol so have to see gp about it on thursday.
what will they want me to do ? lose weight ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now