Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

jasmine pill vs microgynon?

(6 Posts)
newgirl Mon 22-Jun-09 14:42:19

Hi - Im 38, finished having my kids and I have quite bad skin despite having a good diet, drinking lots of water, mild face products etc

so i asked my doc if i could try the pill to calm down the acne - he has prescribed microgynon which i now read can make acne worse. i spoke to him and he said dianette only good for younger women but to research jasmine which some women like, and some dont

do you have any experience of using jasmine, and how did you get on?

i dont need the pill for contraception as dh has had the snip

thanks for your time

smurfgirl Mon 22-Jun-09 14:48:43

Its called Yasmin(e). Lots of friends have really liked being on it.

Egg Mon 22-Jun-09 14:57:12

I used microgynon for about years and didn't notice any difference in skin / spots. I do get the odd spot and skin is not great (big pores, bit blotchy - don't I sound a stunner!), but skin seems the same whether on or off pill. Just been prescribed it again as never want any more children now but not started taking it again yet.

Had a friend who used Yasmin and really liked it. Think she lost a bit of weight but that might have been coincidence.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 22-Jun-09 15:03:01

I used microgynon before DD and it was OK. After DD, acne worse than ever (PCOS), went onto dianette (I was 38). Quite good for the acne but I found I was starting to feel depressed, which can be a side-effect. Changed to Marvelon - acne under control and felt loads better. So that might be another option.

newgirl Mon 22-Jun-09 20:07:54

thanks! so yasmine and marvelon are options to discuss with the doc - thanks!

Ozziegirly Tue 23-Jun-09 05:52:00

I used Yasmin and really liked it. Really short, light periods (lasting about 2 days), no weight gain, no headaches, no symptoms at all actually.

I actually have quite good skin anyway <preen> so I don't know if it helped towards it IYSWIM.

Although I have read some horror stories about it on the interweb, but I really liked it.

I did post about having a headache when I came off it, but i think it was actually just a virus thing.

BUT I would say, I probably wouldn't take the pill unless i needed it for contraception. Can you be referred to a dermatologist for your skin? Maybe it's an underlying hormone imbalance or somthing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now