Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

broken ankle?

(19 Posts)
bambi06 Mon 22-Jun-09 13:52:55

can anyone help regarding poss broken ankle
last tuesday i fell over th e kerb sideways on my ankle and heard something go crack and felt very wierd...swelled up later around ankle but very sore on top of my foot where id broken it some 15 yrs ago...
couldnt walk on it ..
wentto hospital on the thurs who ummed and arrrghed about whether it was broken and decided to x ray on top of the foot rather than the ankle a[where the swelling was ..on ankle!!] no break there ..told me it was jus tbadly bruised and walk on it normally and take painkillers...week later and still i cant walk on it and now just below my ankle bone its started getting pain and is very sore now that the swelling is subsiding.
the whole foot and lower leg feels cold and is a darker colour too , even though im moving foot[slightly ]and walking on the eheel of my footit looks like bad circulation! the other night i was in so much pain from walking on it..i dosed my self up with pain killer but was crying with pain..do you think id be able to walk on the heel of my foot if id broken my ankle and theyve missed it as wouldnt x ray ankle as well [something to do with poor management ?]
if it was badly sprained would it be like this..its driving me potty..al i have is a tubigrip support bandage and no crutches which means very limited walking as i really cant walk far despite them saying walk on it normally...anybody any the wiser please..feel like going back to the hospital but just face the hassle of it all again and waiting round!!

Fimbo Mon 22-Jun-09 13:57:56

I did the same sort of thing you describe 2 weeks ago and have broken my 5th matarsal. The pain comes and goes. I can hobble around on it. I was give an airboot (like Wayne Rooney/David Beckham had) bth I think dragging my foot around in it is making the pain worse, also the pressure is mounting on my "good" leg and knee.

I would go back to the hospital, my A & E told me to go back if the pain got worse.

bambi06 Mon 22-Jun-09 14:02:43

yes i know what you mean about the other leg..my hips are killing me!!

bambi06 Mon 22-Jun-09 14:03:19

did you get a problem with it being cold..fimbo?

Fimbo Mon 22-Jun-09 14:05:43

No more of a numbness I would say.

I really think you need it looked at. Can you wiggle your toes?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bambi06 Mon 22-Jun-09 15:22:57

I can wriggle my toes with stiffness and not totaly freely like the other foot but that could just be due to not using them properly at the mo.. my foot [especially] and lower leg feels like ice and my toes are a darker colour..well the rest of foot and leg is really..right now it feels like someone is holding an ice block on my ankle!!very strange..i might be going to a& e again tonight!!

bambi06 Mon 22-Jun-09 15:25:15

forgot to add ..im running around[well hopping] after two toddlers and its my daughters birthday on friday plus im hosting a fundraiser on friday too..hmmm!!

lynniep Mon 22-Jun-09 15:26:00

I'd go back.

DH did this - fell off a curb and fractured it in two places.

We didnt find out for 6 months what he'd done because thats how long it took him to get to a doctor.

He was very fortunate that it set ok by itself.

If you really think you need it checked again, please get it checked again!

lou031205 Mon 22-Jun-09 15:47:41

Ice cold foot is because of poor circulation. You REALLY shouldn't ignore it, because it can have devastating results. Please return to A&E today.

bambi06 Mon 22-Jun-09 20:36:55

went to A&E tonight at local hosp to be told X ray shut now and come back tomorrow..spoke very briefly to a dr who said it should nt be cold and to have another x ray..third visit tomorrow!!ho hum

Fimbo Tue 23-Jun-09 13:52:38

Any news Bambi?

bambi06 Tue 23-Jun-09 21:13:59

I was going this afternoon but after a bad night with toddler and an early start we both fell asleep this afternoon and the moment was gone as i then had my two after school and couldnt face dragging them to A&e

bambi06 Tue 23-Jun-09 21:16:05

I ll see how it goes over next couple of days....Im getting cabin fever badly..aargh!!

Fimbo Wed 24-Jun-09 13:12:26

Bambi you really really need to go.

lou031205 Wed 24-Jun-09 23:23:30

bambi06, if the colour is in any way as you describe, rather than simple bruising, it is urgent that you get seen by a doctor at A&E, who can order another x-ray.

People can and do lose limbs in this way. Once circulation is cut off for a prolonged period the tissue starts to die. It is irreversible.

Fimbo Fri 26-Jun-09 16:01:42

Bambi are you there???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now