Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dd has food poisining!

(12 Posts)
floppsy Fri 13-May-05 12:52:01

Dd age 6 was up all night wednesday,early hours thursday with diarrhoea.Thought it was just a bug she caught from school that would last 24hrs.Last night she started to get worse,feeling really sleepy,boiling hot but shaking as if she was cold.Phoned the NHS direct line & was told to bring her to the care on call center at the local hospital to be checked by the Dr.He told me she had food poisining,thats why she was shaking because that was the poisin,i couldn't believe it although the dr didn't blame me in anyway i couldn't help feeling guilty.He asked if she had ate chicken,but she had only ate turkey so he's sure it was that.Worried now that i be checking what i'm feeding her.How do we know that what were feding our children is safe?

floppsy Fri 13-May-05 16:57:45

bump

rickman Fri 13-May-05 17:02:37

Message withdrawn

Distel Fri 13-May-05 17:02:58

Don't really know much about food poisening but am sending best wishes and hope she feels better soon x x x

floppsy Fri 13-May-05 17:10:04

Thanx both of you,she has perked up a little this afternoon which is good,she hasn't eaten much,just getting spells of tummy ache.I was just so horrified when the dr said food poisining that would have been the last thing i would have thought of.

lunavix Fri 13-May-05 17:13:15

Before I say this I am NOT saying it's your fault she got it!!!

But if you are really concerned why not do a food hygiene course? It's usually free, you get a nifty certificate, it'll answer any questions you have and also make you more aware of things.

I did one because I work with children, but it reassured me because ds caught gastro a lot then too, and I changed a few ways we did things.

rickman Fri 13-May-05 17:15:25

Message withdrawn

SaintGeorge Fri 13-May-05 17:16:05

Sorry to hear your dd is unwell. I am intrigued as to how your GP diagnosed food poisoning though. Has he tested a stool sample? The usual answer GPs give for tummy upsets is 'a virus' and it is highly likely that is what your dd has.

I like lunavix's suggestion of a food hygiene course though if you are at all unsure of what you are doing.

floppsy Fri 13-May-05 17:22:23

The dr said that the shaking is the sign of food poisining & i was concerned because her whole body went a purpley colour,he said this was a sign of the blood pressure dropping,the two together is normally food poisining.Ask what colour the diarrhoea was & said he was sure thats what it was but thought she was over the worst of it.Didn't give me anything just said to let nature take its course & she would soon be fine.Thanx rickman will have a look at that now.

SaintGeorge Fri 13-May-05 17:30:18

So no treatment and no stool sample?

GPs never cease to amaze me. If food poisoning of any sort is suspected it should be tested for. The majority of bugs that cause fp are reportable and cases should be documented.

Sorry, used to work in public health and it infuriates me when standard procedures aren't followed.

floppsy Fri 13-May-05 17:39:31

So it could have just been a virus or bug & we've been worrying that we might have poisoned our child,not only that my dh was on his way to the supermarket were we bought the turkey from to give them a piece of his mind.

SaintGeorge Fri 13-May-05 17:43:41

Oh - NEVER accuse somewhere of selling you dodgy food unless you can prove it! Not a wise move as they could accuse you of slander.

Not saying it wasn't the turkey - but unless they first test a stool sample and then test the relevant food and can show a direct link then you have no proof. The other reason tests should be done is if there is an outbreak of suspected cases but no food available for testing, then Public Health can arrange questionnaires that can prove or eliminate causal links.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now