Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Think I've broken my toe - any point going to the doctor?

(7 Posts)
grendel Mon 22-Jun-09 10:19:36

I stupidly tripped over our back doorstep yesterday evening, smashing toes 2-5. After I stopped screaming I applied copious amounts of arnica and a cold compress.
This morning, toes 2,3 and 5 look pretty normal - no discolouration, no swelling. But toe 4 is a fetching shade of blackcurrant, swollen and delivers a severe, sharp pain if I attempt to move the top joint at all (as in normal walking).

So I'm thinking I may well have broken it. If I have, is there any point spending half a day at A&E to have it checked out? I've heard that they don't do anything for broken toes anyway, just leave them to heal by themselves.

Anyone else have any experience of this?

And when I can go running again? Bugger!

castille Mon 22-Jun-09 10:25:48

No they don't do anything for broken toes. When I broke mine - swimming, of all things -my A&E doc DH strapped it to the neighbouring one to keep it as immobile as poss and that was it. It took a couple of weeks to feel normal again.

Hope it heals quickly!

Itsjustafleshwound Mon 22-Jun-09 10:29:03

A&E usually just involves an X-ray to confirm the break. They don't do much (as Castille has said) - just strap it up and wait 6 or so weeks...

Ouch!! Have you got some ibuprofen ..?

LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 22-Jun-09 10:32:00

No, I've done this before and my GP friend said they mostly don't even bother strapping any more so no need to seek medical attention. Bad new is mine took six weeks at least to heal and I was very restricted in choice of shoes until then.

grendel Mon 22-Jun-09 10:35:46

I'm just feeling sorry for myself and trying not to think about it too much otherwise I come over slightly queasy.

It would be quite a trek from here to the nearest A&E department, and I don't suppose my toe would be viewed as a very high priority once I got there, which is why I'd rather not bother, especially if they're not going to put it in a dinky plaster cast.

Just wanted to check that I'm not being stupid by not getting it x-rayed!

So I should just tape it to the neighboroughing toe to stop it from moving?

castille Mon 22-Jun-09 12:24:39

Taping it might help with the pain on moving. Might be easier to tape all four toes together (not tightly) leaving big toe free.

If it looks very odd (displaced or wonky) a trip to A&E might reassure you, but if it's just bruised and swollen I wouldn't bother.

It's flip flops for you. At least it's the summer!

bigstripeytiger Mon 22-Jun-09 12:27:44

I had a toe that I thought was broken, I went to A+E as it looked so wrong (obvious bony bump where I thought the break was). They didnt X-Ray it, as they said that it wouldnt make any difference, as it being broken or not wouldnt make a difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now