Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

possible tick bite - any point going to A&E?

(7 Posts)
lingle Sun 21-Jun-09 22:30:30

My visiting relative has had a tick bite (he thinks)so is worried about lyme disease.
I think it could be just a mosquito bite but who knows.
He's removed the tick - or whatever it was

Does anyone know - is it worth him trying to do anything tonight or should he call the GP tomorrow morning? He returns to the States on Tuesday so wouldn't be around for blood test results etc.

thumbwitch Sun 21-Jun-09 22:35:02

I think if the tick has gone he should be ok now; but he would do better to have the tests once he gets back to the States, just in case.
We do have lyme disease here - where was he to have picked up the tick? Somewhere where there are deer?
I think A&E would be unnecessary unless he is experiencing any neurological symptoms at this point.

thumbwitch Sun 21-Jun-09 22:36:27

look here for more info - if it only happened today there wouldn't be much they could do anyway.

LastOrders Sun 21-Jun-09 22:38:20

My DS had a tick a few weeks ago. We went to the walk in-centre as I was worried I wouldn't get it all out and also Lymes.

The nurse said that Lymes isn't treated for when you get a tick, but to look out for flu like symptoms in the next 4/5 weeks.

She said it's nothing to really worry about, but to keep an eye if symptoms come on.

Hope that helps smile

mummypig Sun 21-Jun-09 22:38:42

Ds2 gets loads of ticks (we live near somewhere with lots of deer). The first time it happened I wondered about going to the docs but now I'm so used to it happening I am a bit blase. If your relative has removed it surely he would know whether it was a tick or not? I found some great pictures of ticks for another thread... here they are.

This site says it's unlikely that he will catch Lyme Disease unless the tick was attached for 24h or longer. And the first symptom is a rash which appears 3 to 30 days after being bitten. So I don't think it's worth doing anything right now. But that's just my opinion.

snigger Sun 21-Jun-09 22:42:08

Check for the 'bullseye' rash, but yes, seek medical advice - early treatment is a short course of oral a/b versus potentially serious consequences.

We live on a deer farm and several people have contracted late-diagnosis Lyme's disease - not pleasant.

lingle Mon 22-Jun-09 09:47:48

thanks very much for those replies that's appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now