Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

skin question.. is it possible to have unstitchable skin? perhaps TMI

(9 Posts)
ByThePowerOfGreyskull Sat 20-Jun-09 20:39:15

I am getting myself into a tizz

I need an undercarriage repair job as the stitches I had after both births didn't hold and although the skin has all healed it is as if it wasn't stitched at all - aside from some sticky out skin lumps where the stitches were in place. (Sorry TMI)

So anyway..

I always thought that after babies were over and done with that I would go for a repair job and have discussed what needs doing with my GP.

However, this week I had a mole removed and 2 stitches put in, and the stitches haven't held the skin together, the stitches are still in one side of the hole but the hole is now open, and I am worried that the problem is actually my skin IYKWIM..

is it possible that it is just unstitchable??

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Sat 20-Jun-09 20:46:57

smile hopeful bump

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sat 20-Jun-09 20:49:59

Skin in that area is quite thin but it really does depend on the skill of the person doing the stitching. I've noticed a woman doing the repairs after childbirth generally do a far better job which has a better result then a man.
Pop back if it's opened up though smile

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Sat 20-Jun-09 20:53:06

the skin from the mole is in my armpit,

and both times it was a lady who stitched my undercarriage..

I have a prolapse that will need dealing with as well but am now getting in a fizz about if it will make things worse..

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sat 20-Jun-09 20:57:45

It sound's like your skin's a bit on the thin side. I'd mention this if you need anything else stitching so they can stitch it in a secure way. Skin does get thinner with age and is less 'elastic' (if you know what I mean).

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Sat 20-Jun-09 21:00:04

does this mean that it is less likely to work?

I am not sure if I can really put up with things for much longer.

Oooh and thanks for your help so far smile

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sat 20-Jun-09 21:03:01

smile There's no reason why it shouldn't work, they just need to do a different sort of stitch, there are loads of different ways, a bit like tying a knot, they just need to be aware that they need to use stitching that is more secure.
Do you have some steristrips to join the edges of your surrent wound back together?

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Sat 20-Jun-09 21:06:31

ooh we do have steristrips thanks to DS1 cutting his head open last year smile
will go hunt for them..
thanks for being so kind

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sat 20-Jun-09 21:11:52

smile You are welcome.

Right, give it a good clean, some water and some gauze if you have some, use one dmp gauze, clean away from the wound, one wipe then use a new piece of gauze. Let it dry then put a steristrip on one side of the wound and gently pull and attach to the other side. Make sure it's enough to let the two sides join but not overlap. It is normal for a wound to weep, as long as it doesn't go red/sore/weeping pus/hot then it's OK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now