Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Confused about chiropractors/ osteopaths(sp??)

(6 Posts)
dizzymama Thu 12-May-05 22:57:34

The thread title says it all really, have been advised to take dd to see one of these by various friends but I don't really knowwhat they do or what benefit they will be. Can anyone tell me in very short sentences?!It's late!! (On that note sorry if I don't reply but getting disapproving staresfrom dh who thinks I may very shortly have to ask mumsnet whether I should breathe in or out!! may have to log off soon!)

FIMAC1 Fri 13-May-05 08:45:49

What is the actual problem you have?

chiropractors tend to deal with back problems - or referred pain from a back problem

Osteopaths do gentle manipulation of cranial area to cure any number of problems - Migaines, sleep problems, asthma....

A Google search will give you lots of info on both

FIMAC1 Fri 13-May-05 08:53:09

DizzyMama

If this is related with your dd Eczema? Not sure if it is the correct treatment for it if so....

A food allergy expert (Knesiologist) would help if you could get a good recommendation of one. The one I saw was also a Nutrionalist and was a great help in recommending replacement foods for the ones dd could not have

If it is not related to dd Eczema, ignore

flamesparrow Fri 13-May-05 09:05:58

Again... really depends what its for...

I took my DD to a chiropractor when she was just a few weeks for help with colic. They dealt with any problems with her spine, hips etc caused by the labour. The birth canal is a squishy little place, so its not surprising that various joints can get a bit thrown out of whack.

With her they adjusted a problem at the very top of her spine by rubbing it gently over a few sessions.

It gave her much greater movement in her neck (she tended to look one way more than the other), and made her a much happier, calmer baby, and the colic disappeared.

I have been told that osteopathy can be great for autism too...

dizzymama Fri 13-May-05 16:51:06

Fimac, now Iwouldn't want to give the impression my dd is plagued by illness or anything...it is for her, but no, not related to her eczema!! Will google and thanks to both for help, it makes more sensenow, think it's the osteopath I need!!

FIMAC1 Fri 13-May-05 19:38:01

DizzyMamma

We took dd aged 5 to a Cranial Osteopath for severe sleep probs (she woke every hour in the night) She got her first full nights sleep (and we did!) after her third session. I had more or less resigned myself to it but started to question her sleep pattern when her 2 year old brother was sleeping perfectly. She was a Ventouse, and difficult delivery and he wasn't. Apparently assisted deliveries do need some help with the cranial rebalancing after - just wish we hadn't left it 5 years

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now