Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can anyone tell me about general anaesthetics? do the medics really mess on with you or is that an urban myth?

(39 Posts)
MrsPickles Fri 19-Jun-09 23:33:46

Having a very very minor procedure under General Anasthetic - my elusive coil removed!!! All other routes have been tried & failed.
However am a bit nervous about having under GA

Is it true they will laugh at my fanjo while I am unconscious? A midwife friend has kindly told me horror stories

I had a HORRIBLE experience with bitch anaesthetist who did my epidural when I had a c-section (invoved spraying between my legs aimed at my clitoris with some kind of acidic spray they use to test whether you still have feeling as she didn't believe me that I did - had to tell her it was burning in front of operation room full of people) so am particularly nervous following that

other qs:
If you have had a GA could you tell me
- how did you feel afterwards from the GA itself? Has been suggested I will need 48 hours off work to recover from GA - is that really necessary and why? On the basis I'm hoping the coil removal itself won't incapacitate me.
- would you have felt safe to be on your own that night? The hosp recommends having someone with you for 24 hrs, but my DH is having trouble getting that night shift off work. Am reluctant to postpone as has taken MONTHS to get to this stage after first trying to get coil removed!

Woooozle100 Fri 19-Jun-09 23:42:42

have recently had

felt a bit sleepy / groggy afterwards. Yeah - 2 days prob about right.

Really don't think they'll laugh at yr fanny. But hey ho even if they do you won't have a clue about it. You won't even see inside the theatre and prob not gynae doing it either before or after (you'll just speak to the reg)

God they would have had a field day laughing at my fanny. After weeks and weeks of neglect I had a half arsed attempt at tidying it up but only could find rusty shit disposible thing (dunno where the head of me lovely new venus thingy got to!)

What a pallava to get a coil removed. I thought I had trouble with my first (3 different people at different clinics had a bash) Then the second one just fell out all on its own accord

Oh best of luck with it all btw. Tou'll be fine

SoMuchToBits Fri 19-Jun-09 23:46:21

Hi, I used to work as a staf nurse in the recovery room, and spent time in op theatres. In my experience, staf are unlikely to laugh at you etc, they are far too busy just trying to get their job done. Yes, staff do laugh at some things, it's part of dealing with a stressful job, but in my experience it's usually done in the coffee room later, not in front of the patients (even if they are unconscious), and usually not aimed at specific patients.

I had a GA for the 1st time in Jan this year for a minor gynae op. I have to say it took me longer than I expected to get over it. I would have someone with you for 24 hours, just in case - I was fine, but you never know. Will you be in charge of any dcs during that 24 hours? If so then I would deffo recommend having adult company.

I would say 48 hours off work is necessary - even though the procedure isn't very invasive, you will be quite tired. After my minor op (done as a day case) I definitely needed a few days to get over it.

Hope this helps, and hope it all goes well.

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 19-Jun-09 23:49:03

I had a D&C - only under for about 10 minutes - but it took me a good 10 days to recover from the GA. I definitely don't react well to it!

Meglet Fri 19-Jun-09 23:51:52

I've had 2 GA's, although I was only out for 30 mins each time. I felt fuzzy headed for an hour afterwards then was happily reading in hospital bed. When they put the anaesthetic in its so strange, your arm will go really cold and you will feel it quickly creeping up towards you, they will ask you to count to 10 and you'll probably only make it to 6..... Then the next thing you'll know you'll be in recovery.

I think they say you need someone with you for the first 24 hours as the GA isn't out of your system until then. Definately at least 48 hours off work just in case.

I'm having a big GA next month as I'm having a hysterectomy <wibble>. I don't care if they do laugh at me, I won't know about it. Just as long as I'm alive I'll be happy smile.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Fri 19-Jun-09 23:57:26

Goodness no. The staff are there to look after you, they are all professional people and the most important person in that room is you. You may feel abit groggy after, they only suggest that someone stays with you because of the risk of bleeding.

wrinklytum Sat 20-Jun-09 00:07:33

In answer to OP don't worry they do not "Mess with you",please do not worry .They will have seen a gazillion fanjos in all probability,and will be busy monitoring your vital signs and concentrating on the operation itself,and ensuring all procedures are undertaken professionallly and correctly

What the last poster said in terms of the risk post op.

If you have any concerns/worries discuss with the nurse/dco who admits you and I am sure they will be happy to answer any questions.

Montifer Sat 20-Jun-09 00:26:30

I had a hysteroscopy (also minor op) under GA and was a bit nervous about the whole thing beforehand.
Immediately after GA I was a bit dopey (think it took them a while to wake me in recovery!) then felt quite 'high' for a couple of hours. Scoffed the sandwich and coffee they offered, skipped out to the car park with DP, with me talking ten to the dozen, soon after fell into a deep sleep for about 12 hours and woke the next morning feeling pretty normal, perhaps a little groggy.
I think they advised that someone should be with me for 12 hours but in my case it wasn't necessary.
My op was on a friday and I was back to work on the following monday.
With regard to Drs/ nurses laughing at fanjo I always go by the premise that they've seen worse (unless you've got a particularly hilarious one grin
Hope all goes well.

MrsPickles Sat 20-Jun-09 18:44:48

Thanks very much for all the reassuarance! I hope they've seen worse than my fanjo! I'm well used to whipping it out now, about 6 different people have tried to get coil out and none have collapsed with laughter as yet, but you know, the unconscious bit just makes me wibble about it.

Will make sure DH gets the night off work or postpone the op if he can't, sounds like I will need it, otherwise will be on own overnight with Dd aged 2. Have booked the 2 days off work - what a palaver to get my coil out!
Pixiemason - How did you get yours out in the end , at the clinic? A nurse with v long arms? Every time someone has a go at mine they say "oooh you're tall aren't you", worrying as I'm only 5'2.

Meglet - good luck with your op.
Because I'm worth it - 10 days to get over it! that does sound like a bad reaction!

expatinscotland Sat 20-Jun-09 19:01:04

i wouldn't think they'd 'mess with you' because there are tons of people in the room and that's professional misconduct if someone shopped them for it.

sunburntats Sat 20-Jun-09 19:03:35

Nah they dont "mess", they have a list to get through, no time to mess.

Took me a couple of days to recove from a general, felt a bit hung over.

difficultdecision Sat 20-Jun-09 20:20:42

I've been in hundreds of operations in the last 10 years and never seen any 'messing'. As other have said, too busy, too professional and you get so used to dealing with hundreds of naked people that bits that are normally covered have no more interest to us than an arm or a leg - they are just boring bits of you I'm afraid

There is sometimes a bit of dark humour if cases are very upsetting (like after nasty accidents) it's not ideal but it can help you to be temporarily detached a bit from the horror in order to concentrate and get the job done.

Don't worry, you'll be fine

expatinscotland Sat 20-Jun-09 20:30:56

what exactly was this midwife telling you?

SpawnChorus Sat 20-Jun-09 20:35:19

I remember the anaethetist asking me to count back from 100

lol

Lissya Sat 20-Jun-09 20:37:52

On a seperate note, I found a GA to be quite a nice experience because all my muscles felt so relaxed afterwards, it was as if I'd had a massage/best sleep of my life! grin

I came round in recovery and felt as though I was on the softest bed in the world and felt really peaceful. It did help that a nice nurse was sat at the side of the bed holding my hand at the time when I woke up (don't know why but it was still very nice to wake up to!)

BodenGroupie Sat 20-Jun-09 20:39:15

I soooooooooo wish I hadn't read this thread. I'm going in hospital on Monday for various - ovary and cyst removal plus endometrial ablation. Now I find I've got to worry about them sniggering over my fanjo too shock

Last time I had GA was for small ovarian cyst removal. Felt fantastic after 48 hours then plummeted into weird depression for the next two weeks. GP friend says people underestimate how serious GA is. Also, my op involves pumping me with gas which causes pain under the shoulder blades and major trumping.

Friend had coil removed under GA recently - only off work for the day after - good luck.

expatinscotland Sat 20-Jun-09 20:39:25

i had a similar experience the last time, lyssa.

expatinscotland Sat 20-Jun-09 20:41:51

'Also, my op involves pumping me with gas which causes pain under the shoulder blades and major trumping.'

The major reason I won't get sterilised.

BodenGroupie Sat 20-Jun-09 20:51:44

Don't worry expat - the trumping wears off! Looking forward to a few days where I can outgross DH grin

expatinscotland Sat 20-Jun-09 20:53:33

i don't care about the trumping, but the pain. that's why i won't do it. i've been through enough pain for us to have our 3.

it's his turn now or he can make sure he's got condoms to hand or no nookie.

BodenGroupie Sat 20-Jun-09 20:55:10

You can judge the pain by how long my absence from MN is!

expatinscotland Sat 20-Jun-09 20:59:08

i'm already a depressive, there's no way i'm signing up for another GA unless absolutely necessary.

MrsPickles Sun 21-Jun-09 00:20:01

Mess on = I didn't really mean assault or anything that might get them "shopped", just kind of general piss taking and casual in approach that would be humiliating etc if you were awake.

Girl I know told me that they discuss if there has been a particularly hairy fanjo of the day (she made a comment saying a certain race of women have the hairiest) and that she would NEVER want to have a GA for anything like that when I told her what I was having done and then refused to tell me why.

Gunnerbean Sun 21-Jun-09 00:56:10

ExpatinScotland said:

'Also, my op involves pumping me with gas which causes pain under the shoulder blades and major trumping.'

The major reason I won't get sterilised."

Expat get your DH/DP to have a vasectomy - you won't feel a thing! grin

expatinscotland Sun 21-Jun-09 09:52:40

Well, I can sort of see that. I'd have a regional block if they couldn't find my coil, but that's just me because although the actual experience of the GA I find rather pleasant, afterwards it sort of messes me up and I don't like that so I'd not have one unless there were no other way.

Then again, I hated the coil and I'd never have one again in a million years.

But if it's just hairy fanjos they comment on, well, I've had Brazilians for a long time so I'd not worry about that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now