Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Migraines - how bad do you have them and how do you treat them.

(9 Posts)
sunfleurs Fri 19-Jun-09 18:49:09

Used to get the odd migraine, probably every 18 months or so. Been going through a bit of a stressful time and they have racked up a bit. Have had 3 in the last two weeks. Horrible pain down one side of my head, lasting for up to three days, light makes them much worse and I get stomach upsets as well.

Any good advice on treating them yourself with or without medication. I feel so weak and ill when I have them.

Alambil Fri 19-Jun-09 19:11:53

get thee to the GP - ask for some anti-sickness tablets (metachlopramide)

They prevent your system shutting down so you can take strong pain killers - or get prescribed stuff (Paramax)

sunfleurs Fri 19-Jun-09 19:27:53

I do think I will need to go to GP, funny how they have increased all of a sudden.

Thanks will go next week.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Fri 19-Jun-09 19:30:18

I'd normally say go to the GP but I've since discovered the joys of a chiropractor. They may be able to help with this, especially as it appears to be stress related. Some NHS trusts don't pay for this though, you could ask your GP if they refer first though.

foxinsocks Fri 19-Jun-09 19:30:40

poor you

are you sure you're not getting bad hayfever which is making them worse?

(most likely the stress though)

Yes, do go to the GP. They should check out headaches in the side of your head anyway (do you mean the side of your actual head or the bit of your face, sort of in front of your ear?)

As an aside, I have cut out additional sugar in my diet, so no sugar in my tea etc. and I am certainly getting fewer migraines

sunfleurs Fri 19-Jun-09 19:37:12

Yes I have been getting AWFUL hayfever, posted on the Hayfever support thread. Probably is that, not thinking straight today.

Pain is in the top right hand side of my head coming down behind my right eye. It is relieved if I put something cool over my eye. Like a cool pillow or towel or something.

It is always in the same place in the all the years I have been having them.

Will ask GP about chiropractor.

Thanks for your replies.

weegiemum Fri 19-Jun-09 19:41:34

I get bad migraines about once a month (IYSWIM!)

I take Imigran nasal spray - tis brilliant!

bebesequin Fri 19-Jun-09 20:20:57

I have maxalt melt from my gp still have regular- maybe 2 a month- but this stuff if taken as soon as I get my aura shortens the attack and makes it less intense.Would agree with seeing an oesteopath or chirpractor they are excellent

Claire236 Fri 19-Jun-09 20:22:19

I used to get them & was prescribed something called Zomig which was fantastic. You only got about 3 tablets for the price of a prescription mind you. Coming off the pill stopped mine thank God.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: