Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Any experience of Staph infections?

(5 Posts)
littlelamb Fri 19-Jun-09 18:16:33

This is the latest diagnosis for the spots on ds's bits. It's been a problem since the beginning of the year, on and off. We saw a new GP yesterday who said it was a very unusual looking infection, and took a swab to confirm it. He's been given antibiotics and cream and the spots do look a lot less angry-looking than yesterday, but I don't really know what to doto stop the infection coming back, which is what the problem. Last time, as soon as the antibiotics were finished the problem came back. I've never even heard of staph, but it's apparently quite common??

Juwesm Fri 19-Jun-09 18:26:17

Staph = Staphylococcus aureus - very common bug that many people will carry on their skin. Causes common skin infections like impetigo and cellulitis. No personal experience, I'm afraid, but antibiotics should clear it up nicely. If it keeps recurring, possibly your DS has it as part of his normal skin flora, in which case I suppose that possibly an all over antiseptic wash for a few days might help to clear it? Did he get the same antibiotic last time?

CarGirl Fri 19-Jun-09 18:30:32

sounds similar to the strep A dd4 had she ended up with perianal strep, we now have olatium plus on pescription for dd, partly for her psorasis and the plus bit it to help prevent a reoccurance of the strep thingy.

It will probably take a few days for the antibiotics to really make a difference.

littlelamb Fri 19-Jun-09 18:56:10

CarGirl, you were on an earlier thread of mine suggesting similar so thank you It's just so frustrating getting so many different diagnoses. It's the same antibiotic, and this time we've been prescribed mupirocin cream and Dermol lotion. I think ds is going to have problems with his skin anyway, we've worked out that he is probably allergic to grass pollen which makes going to play outside a bit of an ordeal, especially now he's turning his nose up at piriton (or should that be clamping his mouth tight shut hmm)

CarGirl Fri 19-Jun-09 19:07:59

I would ask for a referral to a dermatologist still because they give you lots of minature bottles to try diff stuff to find out what works best.

The oilatum plus is what she insists we use it has slight antiseptic qualities (normal oilatum doesn't).

Infuriating isn't it. It took 2 lots of antibiotics to clear dds up - 3 weeks in total, again she had suffered for a year.

Off out now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now