Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

might have something ovary related - tell me it's not always the end of the world?

(6 Posts)
bohemianbint Fri 19-Jun-09 09:48:15

Am having a week of dealing with all of my health issues and turns out that a pain I have had since Sunday in my left side is not the kidney infection I was hoping for but something else. Having been examined and had numerous swabs/tests I have to wait nearly two weeks for the results and the doctor is wondering if there is something up with my ovaries. Apparently my cervix looks a bit inflamed as well but I did have a baby 10 months ago so apparently that's not too alarming.

But if there's something wrong with my ovaries - is that automatically going to be a really bad thing? Am a bit of a hypochondriac and a little knowledge is a dangerous thing; am already obsessing about hysterectomies and the rapid decline of Jade Goody. Please come and give me a virtual slap!

Galava Fri 19-Jun-09 09:56:07

My SIL only has one ovary.

I thinkk she had a cyst or something, and they ended up taking it out, anyway, she's fine.

bohemianbint Fri 19-Jun-09 09:59:09

Thanks Galava - glad she's alright. Does it affect fertility?

Should maybe add, my periods haven't come back, dunno if that's related as am still breastfeeding (a lot!)

Galava Fri 19-Jun-09 10:08:37

This was a number of years ago, and she was PG at the time. They operated whilst the baby was about 6m and growing shock

She still ovulated and had periods, i think the remaining ovary over compensated and produced an egg every month.

This was her second pregnancy and they didnt want any more, so I cant comment on fertility.

She's in her mid 40s now and it was said at the time she might need HRT at some stage, but at the moment i dont think its a problem

Hope this helps.

bohemianbint Fri 19-Jun-09 10:11:04

Thank you.

Am really hoping it's nothing, or a blip, or it just goes away by itself. I'm not very good about health issues, I either ignore them, or assume worst case scenario, or both... sad

Galava Fri 19-Jun-09 10:21:44

grin Good luck. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now