Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sudden mouth ulcers (at least 4) - could this be a sign of something more serious?

(12 Posts)
Sheeta Thu 18-Jun-09 13:49:06

Am a bit concerned as I've never had mouth ulcers before, and now I seem to have them all round the inside of my top lip, and the side of my tongue.

Am I just being paranoid or could this be a sign of something worrying?

Bibithree Thu 18-Jun-09 13:51:21

Lack of B vitamins? DH gets them when he doens't sleep/eat well for a few weeks and is generally a bit run down. He gets more than one at a time too.

Sheeta Thu 18-Jun-09 14:19:25

Hmm.. interesting. Have had an awful week of sleep and loads of stress. Have been eating badly too.

Lack of B-vits can make you depressed too, can't it?

pagwatch Thu 18-Jun-09 14:23:23

sheeta - I get quite stressed a lot and I will get mouth ulcers as soon as I get too run down with poor sleep and not so great diet.
I use a multi vit and pay better attention to good food and rest and they always clear up quickly

Sheeta Thu 18-Jun-09 14:28:55

That must be it then...

I'd convinced that because I've got them on my tongue that it was a sign of liver problems. Hypochondriac? Me?

grin

I shall de-stress and eat better.

Joolsiam Thu 18-Jun-09 14:33:16

It is an early sign of pregnancy for me grin

SusieDerkins Thu 18-Jun-09 14:36:30

Have you ever suffered from cold sores? My first attack of cold sores a few years ago took the form of loads of what looked like mouth ulcers (I had over 40 inside my mouth, on my tongue and on my lips). Then about a year and a half ago ds2 (who was then only 2) came down with loads of ulcers. He was in a really really bad way and when I took him to the out of hours doc I was told that he was suffering from his first attack of cold sores (I can't remember the proper name for it). They said they would admit him if he got any worse but I managed to get fluid into him which helped. I had had a cold sore the previous week and had almost certainly given it to him.

I would suggest a mouth spray to take the edge off the pain (for cold sores and mouth ulcers) and lots of tlc.

nigglewiggle Thu 18-Jun-09 14:38:45

DD's hand foot and mouth started like this. Can adults get this too? Not serious BTW.

Sheeta Thu 18-Jun-09 15:10:22

def not pregnant, and never had cold sores - don't think DP has either.

steviesgirl Thu 18-Jun-09 17:30:14

It can also be a sign of anaemia. Have you cut down on iron rich foods lately?

Sometimes it can even be the toothpaste you use. My dd was getting one after the other when I tried a different toothpaste once - I stopped using that particuar one and they stopped over night.

Sheeta Thu 18-Jun-09 17:40:12

Yes, been dieting and definitely cut down on lots of red meat. Hmm..

We have got a new toothpaste too! Will try another one tonight. ANYTHING to get rid of them all.

I knew posting on here was a good idea, thank you all! grin (ouch)

magnolia74 Thu 18-Jun-09 21:00:42

buy oraldene medicated mouthwash from supermarket. its fab works on my ulcers really well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now