Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pelvic Inflammatory Disease

(5 Posts)
bitsnbobs Thu 18-Jun-09 10:26:08

During the last year I have been getting stomach pains and discharge. Each time I have been given swabs, one of which came back saying that I have bacterial vaginosis. Then I am given antibiotics for two weeks, it clears up and then comes back again usually when I am ovulating. I am so fed up of this and just want to know what is wrong.sad I had an ultrasound scan which didn't find anything.
Has anyone else had PID and does it reoccur or could it be something else?

stripeypineapple Thu 18-Jun-09 10:45:28

BV is incredibly common. Loads of women have it and don't even know they do.

I don't know how much you know about it but I have had it, quite a bit I'm sorry to say, so I know a lot about it.

It's caused by an imbalance in the flora and fauna in your vagina. Your vagina is full of bacteria, good ones, and if the balance of these bacteria are altered too much one way or the other it results in either thrush or BV.

Your vagina is also acidic so if you introduce anything alkaline into it it will affect the balance of it too.

Semen is acidic. That is what gives me BV, almost whenever DP comes inside me (sorry if TMI) it will cause an imbalance in my fanjo and then I get BV.

Acidopholus capsules are the answer. Acidopholus is a lactic acid bacteria found in the gut and the vagina. You need to reintroduce back in there. You can buy it online.

There's a lot on info on the net about BV. Read up about it. If you can work out what causes you to get it you can hopefully work out how to stop getting it.

bitsnbobs Thu 18-Jun-09 10:53:02

I don't use perfumed soap/shower gel,I eat bioyoghurt, wear 100% cotton underwear and have not had sex for 6 monthes (unfortunately grin) . I will definately try the capsules.

Can BV cause pelvic infections?

I am just worried that these repeated pelvic pains are causing some damage internally and wondered if there was any other type of scan or internal examination that could be done.

stripeypineapple Thu 18-Jun-09 11:13:01

Apparently BV can lead to PID. It says so here.

Badger your GP for more than antibiotics. If they are being slack get another doc to look at you.

Don't delay it anymore. I'd make an appointment today if I were you, pelvic pains and re-infection every two weeks isn't good.

Get it sorted girl.

Kross Sun 19-Jul-09 22:48:26

Hi I have just had a laparoscopy and they have found loads of adhesions on my tubes and ovaries which they think is from a old pelvic inflamor disease! I get such bad pains on a daily basis, the only way i can discribe it is its like a warping pain running through my tummy like i have a bad infection. I am going to see consultant tomorrow as might have to have op again. is there any reason why u could have pid??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now