Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sickie bug or very bad period?

(7 Posts)
panicpants Wed 17-Jun-09 20:52:24

Had a sickie bug 2 weeks ago, d&v for 24 hours and then ok. Anyway started period on friday with bad pains. Very sore stomach, with high cramping pains just under ribs (as normal with my periods) so took some mefenemic acid.

By Sat I'm feeling really unwell. Pains terrible, pain refief not effective at all. And starting to feel at bit sick. Sat night/sun morning I'm throwing up and have the runs (sorry tmi!) and really in horrendus pain. More than the pain i had with the sickie bug I had 2 weeks ago. Also very feverish.

Anyway was so bad, and was worried about things like toxic shock as was using tampons, so went to out of hours dr. They said, it's a period with a sickie bug on top and gave me some buscapane (Sp) to put inbetween gum and cheek to stop the sickness.

So anyway spent all say sun and mon on bed. Not throwing up anymore but tummy very painful and sore.

Tues felt a bit better and went to work.

This morning woke up to all the pains again and throwing up started again. Went back to drs and was given more of the buscapane and have to go back on friday.

Dr wasn't sure what it was, thought it had gone on a bit too long for a sickie bug, so have to do a stool sample and go back.

So the vomiting a bit more controlled with the tablets but pains in my stomach still very much there and still keep feeling sick.
And I've slept all day.

Any ideas anyone?? BTW I finished my period on sunday, so don't know if thats still contributing to the pains or not.

TIA

whomovedmychocolate Wed 17-Jun-09 21:52:50

And have you done a pregnancy test?

whomovedmychocolate Wed 17-Jun-09 21:53:58

Those tablets you put under your gum - ooh they make you feel even crapper don't they?

Sound likes you went back to work too soon. Stay off till next week - you need to do this to get over whatever it is.

whomovedmychocolate Wed 17-Jun-09 21:55:28

Now isn't that weird, my messages came out in the wrong order hmm

Ho hum. I was just wondering? A massive rush of hormones can cause D&V (obviously). But if you have diarrhea you will get worse period pains because the bowls cramping will squish the uterus and make that contract as well.

panicpants Thu 18-Jun-09 15:18:04

Yes did do a pg test..but alas was negative

And yes those tablets are vile...after a bit the taste sort of starts to seep into your whole mouth...yuck!!

But do feel less sick today..just tummy pains.

kellise Mon 29-Jun-09 14:33:43

I just wanted to add I am exactly the same & could have written your post!
Let me know how you get on, i started to feel better yesterday but was up all night with tummy pain & feeling sick though wasnt sick last night just earlier in the day.
didnt know what its was period or tummy bug! havent done pg test as I am on period so surely Im not pg!

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 29-Jun-09 21:04:37

panicpants

It may have been a stomach bug but if your periods are consistently bad in that they are very painfyl you should seek a referral to a gynae. Endometriosis is a common cause of heavy and or painful periods. And it used to make me feel sick as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now