Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pain in my buttock, down my leg and into my foot.......

(10 Posts)
npg1 Wed 17-Jun-09 20:32:38

Hi. I have had this several times recently but it seems to be getting worse.

I run 2-3 times a week but not too far. The pain is in my buttock, it travels down my leg and I cant feel it in my thigh and calf and then goes to my foot where the pain is really bad and sometimes causes numbness. I have been in alot of pain with it today.

Do I need to go and see the doc?

TheArmadillo Wed 17-Jun-09 20:35:31

yep

could be something like a trapped nerve.

I get similar sometimes.

It is worth checking with doc cos although they can't do much with it they can rule anything else out.

giraffesCantRunA10k Wed 17-Jun-09 20:36:27

Sounds sciatica like to me.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Wed 17-Jun-09 20:37:11

Yep sounds like a trapped nerve. I get this from time to time, and when it happens I can't move for days.

I would go to the gp to rule out any other damage as armadillo said though.

undervalued Wed 17-Jun-09 20:37:19

It is sciatica. I am off work with it at the moment - the pain just gets sooooo bad. It is not life threatening but it has become debilitating for me lately and I have been referred on. See a phsio and they can give you exercises to do in the first instance.
HTH

Piffle Wed 17-Jun-09 20:37:55

That's the sciatic nerve route
Skip the doc go to a decent osteo or rehab physio
It's bloody painful and annoying
I get it when I ovulate...

undervalued Wed 17-Jun-09 20:38:43

physio blush <<blames the painkillers!!>>

tribpot Wed 17-Jun-09 20:39:29

Sciatica, totally sympathise.

cocolepew Wed 17-Jun-09 20:42:07

I have something like this, I got it from taking up running. It's coming from a muscle in my back and as it travels down my leg is affecting the tendon. It's bloody sore. My calf goes 'heavy' and numb and my foot and heel are very sore.

Icing it will help and ibruprofen. I'd go to an oestopath, too.

Siatica is what happens (i.e. pain in the siatic nerve) but there are several things that can cause it. Do you stretch after running? It can be caused by a tight periformis muscle and hip flexors. For a proper diagnosis you need to see a physio.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now