Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Talipes/clubfoot and potty training through night whilst in DBBB - any tips anyone?

(6 Posts)
LittleMammaTo2 Wed 17-Jun-09 13:24:56

Just wondered how you get around the fact that child isn't mobile so can't effectively use potty

babalon Wed 17-Jun-09 20:24:41

Hi There,

Do you know about the Steps website? www.steps-charity.org.uk you should be able to get some hints and tips there. My ds was born with bilateral talipes and is coming up to 3 yrs old now. I'm personally putting off toilet training mainly due to him being my third and a boy wink. As long as the child is able to shout through to you I think you'd crack it. Depends how old your little one is.
I always lifted my other 2 dc onto the potty when I went to bed and they very rarely needed to go again before morning.
Hope your Los talipes treatment has gone well

LittleMammaTo2 Wed 17-Jun-09 21:12:06

Am a STEPS regular and have posted there too but thanks.

DD is just over 2, potty trained during day but not even tried to do anything about nights yet as am worried about having too many accidents due to DBBB and then putting her off even trying.

Her talipes treatment has gone well so far. Ponseti method at Leeds General Infirmary. We didn't begin treatment until 5 months old as we had to wait to get a referral but it is hard now to tell her affected foot (unilateral talipes right foot, left foot had positional talipes which was treated with weekly physio and strappings).

How's your treatment gone and where are you treated?

babalon Thu 18-Jun-09 12:19:13

Your doing really well to have her potty trained in the day at just 2 grin

I'm was also a regular poster on STEPS not so much time to now (user name shadow on there) DS's was originally treated at coventry but have moved his care to Northampton treatment has gone well possibility of tendon transfer next year on his right foot. But it still amazes me how good his feet are when I look back at photos.

Let me know how the night time training goes I'm dreading it don't get much sleep as it is.

LittleMammaTo2 Thu 18-Jun-09 21:06:35

She kinda did the potty training herself once we got the potty out - had tried her on the toilet a couple of times but she wasn't interested. Have 4 month old boy and am thinking that things won't be half as easy with him when his time comes!

Have seen many a post by you on STEPS. I have to confess that I tend to read posts on there rather than post nowadays (rather selfish I know as it was once a lifeline for me!).

Best of luck if you have to go down road of tendon transfer, have read lots and lots of success stories re this.

It is amazing to look back at the difference between feet pre and post treatment. Every now and then I find myself trawling through photos just to remind myself how far we/she has come.

Am dreading night time training too, we're putting it off until her nappies are pretty dry on a morning. She only started sleeping through the night in Jan this year (just before her 2nd birthday) and we use bedtime milk as a bit of a crutch still so can't face taking that away from her just yet.

Has your sleep been affected because of treatment? We def think that's what led to ours as she slept fine before going in casts at 5 months - we then had hell on earth for month upon month! Have never been so sleep deprived in my whole life but funny how quickly you are able to function quite normally on only 3 hours sleep!!

SoupDragon Thu 18-Jun-09 21:11:00

I know nothing about talipes but being dry at night is something they have to be physically ready for, it's not something you just teach them like you do day time potty use. Their body needs to produce sufficient quantities of a hormone which stops the bladder filling up so much over night. You don't need to be worrying about it yet

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now