Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

where do I post for contraception questions??

(10 Posts)
iwearflairs Tue 16-Jun-09 22:50:21

I am 42 and want to find out what anyone things of IUD? Good/bad experiences? It was recommended by my family planning doc, but I don't fancy it. My friend got a pelvic infection and nearly died.

What are the other options that people like? I suggested to DH tonight that he get the snip and he said no. grin

asicsgirl Wed 17-Jun-09 19:22:07

this is a good place to post i think, but you could also try doing a search for previous threads - i remember loads about the mirena, the snip and female sterilisation - might be interesting

emma1977 Wed 17-Jun-09 23:04:20

here is a reasonable starting place for links for info about various contraceptive methods.

Infections from IUDs are fairly rare, and they are a very reliable hormone-free method of contraception.

What other method that may be suitable for you depends on your preferences, motivation for use and medical history.

iwearflairs Thu 18-Jun-09 17:59:44

thanks for your responses -- I still don't think I fancy the IUD, am considering natural family planning....

lostinthecitylover Thu 18-Jun-09 20:11:43

getting on my soapbox again but I find a cap or diagphram to be very good and non hormonal method of contraception.

I used one when married and it worked very well. Since I split with exh have had two partners first had a snip - which I find really liberating (for me anyway) and am now back to the trusty old cap again.

iwearflairs Thu 18-Jun-09 22:59:51

I had a cap for a while but have the usual complaint that it was a bit interruptive and didn't feel like the maintenance it involves. Sorry to be such a lazy bugger!

kiddiz Thu 18-Jun-09 23:37:07

I had a non hormonal iud for a year but it made my usually problem free periods horribly heavy and long. I can't use hormonal contraceptives due to migraines. I too had a diaphragm for many years but developed an allergy to latex hence being persuaded by the fpc to try an iud. Dh flatly refused to have the snip which remains a bone of contention with us but that's a whole other thread!!! I opted to be steralised which was fine and the right choice for me but I am absolutely sure my family is complete. Incidently it's been over a year since I was steralised and the iud was removed and my periods have yet to return to the way they were before I had the iud. It could just be my age but they are still longer and heavier than they used to be.

iwearflairs Fri 19-Jun-09 22:45:15

Mine are already long and heavy which also puts me off. I may actually go for the progestone only pill as I also get migraines. Failing that I think the natural method sounds rather earth mothery and appealing.

Dalrymps Fri 19-Jun-09 22:56:00

On this morning the other day they were talking about a new version of the pill that has been released. Apparently the oestrogen type ingredient in it is exactly the same as oestrogen as opposed to the others where it's similar. They said it causes less mood swings and you get lighter periods. Worth considering... Although I can't for the life of me remember what it's called blush

lostinthecitylover Sun 21-Jun-09 18:15:30

well with cap just put it in in say twenty mins or an hour in advance if I think there's a chance (if not then take it out of course) and whisper but not recommending this I don't tend to use the spermicide. Seems to have worked for me all these years but again is not the recommended method of use.

Had to laugh inwardly once when my gp said she thought it was just holding the spermicide in place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now