Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Untitled

(15 Posts)
Claire2009 Tue 16-Jun-09 20:54:24

I had a blood test Thurs for a blood count/to check Iron levels mainly as I'm more tired than usual lately.

The results came back today, everything "Satisfactory" but it said on the results "Make a doc appt".

(Results via Phone and thats what she said, she had no idea either why it said "Make doc appt")

I have done, but it's not until Tues. What will it be for if everything has come back as "Satisfactory"?!

nigglewiggle Tue 16-Jun-09 20:58:28

I had this and it was because my iron levels were borderline. I had gone to GP because my hair was falling out - another symptom of anaemia.

She wanted to discuss results and options re medication.

As my level was just above he cut-off, i guess it would have been classed as satisfactory.

HTH.

PacificDogwood Tue 16-Jun-09 20:59:26

Could be subtle changes that doc wants to speak to you about face to face. "Satisfactory" does not necessarily mean "normal", all labs give a range of normal and you could be just outwith that normal range but taken together with your symptoms your GP may consider offering you treatment. The same blood test could not mean a lot in somebody who feels well, IYSWIM.
Also, there is a difference in treating the numbers or the person: your GP may want to assess you further even though the bloods were "satisfactory".
Or, dare I say it, it could be a mistake....wink.

Try not to worry too much about (I know you will a bit) but go and see your doc as planned.
HTH.

Claire2009 Tue 16-Jun-09 21:00:39

Thanks.
My hair has been falling out, have recently had it cut very very short, which helps! But loads was coming out in the shower/when brushing etc.

Did you get some iron supplement or something? Did it help?

Sidge Tue 16-Jun-09 21:06:44

It could be that as you have some ongoing symptoms, and your bloods were possibly normal, your GP wants to discuss further options for you. A lot of medicine is more of a process of elimination rather than a Eureka! moment! grin

nigglewiggle Tue 16-Jun-09 21:07:27

Yes had iron tabs which I got ok with (some people don't). I also saw a consultant who said that he didn't think the hairloss was due to the low iron levels. I had recently given birth (about 4 months earlier) so some was due to normal hormonal shedding. I also had a DVT following delivery and the consultant said that the Fragmin that I was injecting was also making my hair fall out.

Good news is that I am now fine (baby is 13 months) and I have a funky new hairdo which everyone seems to like grin

Hope you get some good answers, I know it can be really unsettling.

Claire2009 Tue 16-Jun-09 21:12:43

Thanks all

My youngest is 2.2yo now, I have a problem with irregular/painful/very heavy periods, constantly tired, hair coming out a lot.

Will see what happens Tues

PacificDogwood Tue 16-Jun-09 21:17:35

Just guessing here: have you had your thyroid function checked as well? Would tie in with your symptoms.

nigglewiggle Tue 16-Jun-09 21:21:02

How interesting. I'm just waiting to see a consultant about very heavy periods. The two things have not coincided because I was breastfeeding until DD2 was 12 months, so periods only started 5 months ago and hair had stopped falling out before then.

I have not been particularly tired (well no more than you would expect with 2 under 4!) but perhaps we should compare notes.

Claire2009 Tue 16-Jun-09 21:27:45

I haven't no, PD. I did about 3yrs ago when I was living in France though, and I think it was borderline/ok.

NiggleWiggle, Ok..here ;

Ds born by cs at 41+6
Bled for 5wks
Healed fine
Awful irregular, painful periods since they first arrived.
Breastfed for 4-5wks.
Periods are even more irregular/painful/heavy if I have sex that monthhmm ?!
Tired (have a 2.2yo & 3.4yo and am generally tired a bit, but this is a lot more, kinda needing naps during the day, even when I sooo can't have one!)
Hair Loss

Can't think of anything else, but I only had 1 period after dd before falling preg with ds, so have NO idea if this is 'normal' periods after having children. Before they were regular/painfree/light!

nigglewiggle Tue 16-Jun-09 21:46:45

Mine were fairly normal between DD. Horrendously heavy after DD2. Super-plus has to be changed every hour (TMI?).

Funnily enough I have no pain at all, but then I have no sex (def TMI wink)

It does sound like it might be anaemia for you. Everything points to it and your hairloss would not be hormonal so long after delivery. It may be caused by the heavy periods, so the key question would be what is causing this. GP spoke to me about polyps (sp) and fibroids (neither is anything to worry about), but these have been ruled out by an ultrasound.

I have some abnormalities on the lining which the gynaecologist needs to look at, but not either of the above.

I am no expert BTW but it looks like you are probably borderline anaemic because of your heavy periods and you need to find out what is causing this.

Keep me posted.

Claire2009 Tue 16-Jun-09 21:56:27

Thanks NiggleWiggle.

When period is here, for the first 2-3 days I'm changing super-plus every 20-30 mins, it's hell. Last time I leaked when I went out, so I stayed in till it calmed down blush it's awful.

The Gp mentioned endo to me a few months ago, the pain I get mid cycle/all through period/irregular/heavy bleeding. So maybe thats something to do with it too?

I don't have sex often blush I'm single grin but I did notice when I did, it made my periods even worse.

nigglewiggle Tue 16-Jun-09 22:06:45

We might be experiencing different things, but my appointment is in a couple of weeks, so I will update you with what I am told.

Hope you get some good answers soon. smile

Claire2009 Tue 16-Jun-09 22:11:21

Thankyou, and you too.

Iworryalot Tue 07-Jul-09 15:16:47

Hi there i to am sufering with heavy periods , had full blood count done last month all normal but going to see if they can test for iron and Bvit as feeling soo tired all the time , headaches and dizzy spells ... i have very heavy P and short cycle so i think , hope sadthis is the cause , started some exrercise classes to but to be honest im soo tired after im going to stop as tired the next day,
anyone els have low iron or symptoms like mine ..

ps ..HA sufferer .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now