Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

possible chickenpox and going to nursery

(6 Posts)
lilysma Tue 16-Jun-09 18:49:38

I suspect my DD (2.5) may have chickenpox. She goes to nursery which has had cases and has a fever (38) on and off yesterday and was more tired than usual although fine within herself. This afternoon she has some spots on her arms. Not many but they are definitely new. I gather that if they have blistered tomorrow this will be the definitive sign, but if they haven't blistered or multiplied, do you think I'm okay to send her to nursery on the grounds that I'm not sure, or is that desperately selfish??!! If I'm possibly going to be off work with her for a week or more I could really do with going in tomorrow! I gather that they are infectious for several days before the spots appear so she will probably have infected everyone else today blush but I genuinely didn't know she might have it. What do you reckon??

CrushWithEyeliner Tue 16-Jun-09 18:51:24

So was she in today with the fever/spots?

louii Tue 16-Jun-09 18:52:56

If she has spots you cant send her.

DS had a couple of days with high temp, tue wed last week, got first spots Thur morning.

He is going back to playgroup Wednesday as no new ones since saturday and everything dry and scabbed over.

lilysma Tue 16-Jun-09 19:14:17

She was in today because no fever this morning and no spots either (I didn't suspect chickenpox this morning)

lilysma Tue 16-Jun-09 21:01:33

Thanks for advice BTW

LesbianMummy1 Tue 16-Jun-09 21:21:46

please keep her off if you suspect chicken pox I believe it is now thought it is 24 hours they are contagious before spots appear also as I have posted before there are children with low immunity who can suffer very badly from infections such as chicken pox. As a child minder I received latest government advice re swine flu today and that again flags up how crucial it is that children with lung immunity are protected wherever possible

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now