Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can someone please help me, Bowel Cancer - anyone know anything?

(2 Posts)
CatchaStar Tue 16-Jun-09 14:25:54

My very, very dear Gran was diagnosed with bowel cancer a couple of weeks ago. Her health plummeted a month or so ago so after some checks with the doctor and visits to hospital for scans etc, they told us she had bowel cancer.

My Gran is 88 years old, but they said they would go ahead with the surgery she needed anyway. They thought her chances looked good, and that the op would go smoothly. Only when they did the surgery, they found that the lump had attatched itself to her intestine and therefore could not remove it. Instead they did a bipass to make things more comfortable for her. My poor gran was cut from her breast bone to her pubic bone.

We have been given very little information and only found out this weekend that they couldn't remove the cancer. Her op was last Monday and nobody informed us they were unable to remove the lump until Friday, we all assumed they had gotten it and thought everything was ok. We are all devastated.

Can anybody explain to me what will happen to her now? Will it spread? Will it cause her a lot of pain? How long will she live - any estimate? Anyone with any experience of this I would be hugely grateful if you could tell me anthing, I'm going out of my mind. I feel like I'm falling to pieces, this woman has been like a second mother to me. sad

howtotellmum Tue 16-Jun-09 15:06:33

You need to ask the drs these questions- it 's a different prognosis for everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now