Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Glandular fever and depression - any advice/experience?

(14 Posts)
grumblinalong Tue 16-Jun-09 11:26:32

I'm in the third week of glandular fever and yesterday dr also said I have tonsillitis on top of it sad.

Today has been the first day I haven't felt debilitating fatigue(hence posting on MN after 3 week sabbatical) and wanted to ask if anyone has any experience of feeling depressed wrt glandular fever? The black cloud has been gathering for 2 weeks and today I just keep crying about pathtic stuff e.g dp didn't have time to put DS2's car seat in the car this morning.

I feel really upset and down but have nothing tangible to blame it on. I hate feeling like this and want to give myself a good shake but it's not working! Any advice/experience?

Ledodgy Tue 16-Jun-09 11:28:46

I had glandular fever years ago but remember depression as being one of the symptoms. Have you got much help?

grumblinalong Tue 16-Jun-09 11:43:49

I've got childcare for today with CM as usually work 3 days a week but still having to do school runs/teas/baths etc and look after a toddler full days most of the week.

DP is out of the house 12 hours a day and we're waiting to hear about his redundancy so he can't take time off. dr warned me about overdoing it - DS2 was with me yesterday climbing the surgery walls! No mention of depression though on symptons sheet she gave me. Did you experience it ledodgy?

grumblinalong Tue 16-Jun-09 11:45:02

symptoms - arrgggh it's affecting my ability to spell now!

Ledodgy Tue 16-Jun-09 11:47:43

Yes I did but I was only 17 so could ave complete bed rest. I remember depression was listed in one of the booklets I read. Also mentions it here

I can't imagine having it with children to look after it was honestly one of the worst things i've ever had though I did have it quite badly.

Ledodgy Tue 16-Jun-09 11:47:58

*have

Celery Tue 16-Jun-09 11:51:42

I had Glandular Fever last year, and was depressed. The depression didn't kick in straight away though. I wasn't diagnosed for three months. I thought I'd had a bad dose of flu, which lasted a week or two, then spent the next three months feeling unbelievably fatigued, with recurring symptoms ( sore throat etc ) and a gradual slide into depression. I think it is quite common for depression to be a symptom, especially during the post-viral stage - glandular fever can often take months to recover from. I think sometimes the depression can be as a result of being so tired and the frustration of being unable to do things, but for me I think it was more of a physical symptom. Every time I get any kind of virus ( a cold etc ) I feel depressed, in a black cloud sort of way.

I was ill for a good six months and recovered through rest and change of diet. I still need to take great care of my health, or the symptoms come back again.

Celery Tue 16-Jun-09 11:53:42

You will get better, but it takes time. Doing positive things to speed up the recovery, like change of diet etc can really help.

grumblinalong Tue 16-Jun-09 11:58:18

It's awful - because it's been going on for 3 weeks now my parents, IL's and DP seem to be losing patience with me. Although this is probably paranoia with feeling down. I want to be able to do everything I did before but I just haven't got the energy sad

grumblinalong Tue 16-Jun-09 12:00:59

How did you change your diet celery? It would be interesting to know as I really want to speed up my recovery.

phdlife Tue 16-Jun-09 12:12:05

grumblin, I was horribly depressed when I had glandular fever. I kept thinking, "ffs, people have climbed mountains after they've been struck by lightning (true, I read it in Reader's Digest), I'm just tired and I can't even get out of bloody bed, what kind of a wimp am I!"

It's a matter of getting your head round the fact that you are tired because you are very ill, and pushing yourself to carry on because you are "only" tired, is likely to (a) prolong the illness, (b) make you more vulnerable to other viruses, and (c) make you prone to relapses (the virus sticks around for up to 5 years!)

If your family are losing patience, they might need a wee bit of educating. My mum is now utterly debilitated by ME, which is partly the result of never fully beating any of the many viruses she's had.

hth, and good luck getting better soon. It will happen, but you have to help it with lots and lots and lots of rest. Now might be a good time to invest in lots of box sets wink

Celery Wed 17-Jun-09 10:00:06

I cut out all processed food, and especially sugar. Even if I eat sugar now, the symptoms flare up. Lots of vegetables and salad, as much raw as possible. It seems like a real effort to eat well when you're feeling so tired and ill, but it really does help.

newgirl Mon 22-Jun-09 14:39:34

crikey ive had glandular fever on and off over the years and i get depressed but did not know it was quite common - so thanks for posting.

i do think diet can help as it can stablise your blood sugar levels - i saw a private nutritionist and her advice has helped enormously eg

cut back caffiene
eat little and often - never feel hungry
eat protein in every meal and snack eg if you eat fruit have some nuts or yoghurt with it
plenty of water
choose low gi options

this has helped me not have energy slumps - hope it helps

SouthernLights Tue 21-Jul-09 12:20:11

My DP has suffered from depression on and off (recently mostly on) for the last 10 years; it's only very recently that we discovered there might be a link to the fact that he had glandular fever in 1999 which may have been a key trigger, combined with several other life issues taking place around that time. He eats a lot of sugar because his energy levels are always low (I know, I know, you try telling him, though!) and his immune system is frankly naff.

He has been to the doctor now (finally) and been put on the waiting list for counselling. What I would say is once you have identified that depression is an issue for you, regardless of what's caused it, it needs to be addressed. Sweeping it under the carpet can lead to it going on and on for a very long time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now