Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Smear test results abnormal..Feeling a bit scared

(9 Posts)
northernmonkey Tue 16-Jun-09 11:15:30

I'm sure many of you have been through this but unfortunatly i dont know anyone in rl who has so i cant talk to them.
On sat i got my letter to say my smear test result was abnormal so i have to have a colposcopy on monday. Was hoping it was because they've found mild changes and that would be it.
This morning i've recieved another letter which says i have severe dyskaryosis and although it is unlikely i have cancer these changes need investigation
After the whole Jade Goody thing i'm feeling very slightly scared and keep going through the, who will look after my dcs, dh needs to learn to cook etc etc
Am i getting worked up over nothing??

Guadalupe Tue 16-Jun-09 11:26:38

It is scary when you get that news but try to remember that dyskariosis is very common and it is NOT cancer. It's pre-cancer and can be treated quickly as a day procedure and that's usually the end of it.

It's hard not to think of the recent news stories but the smear programme is very successful when people have their tests and when there is a problem they have the treatment. Try not to think the worst and good luck with your colposcopy.

DidEinsteinsMum Tue 16-Jun-09 11:34:42

I have just had my post colposcopy smear all clear. Guadalupe is right it is NOT cancer it is the stage where is might develope into cancer and needs to be dealt with. The fact that you have had your colposcopy appoint so quickly means it is unlikely to get to cancer as it is being dealt with very quickly. Concern -yes understandable, just put the worst case planning on hold for now. Its unlikely to be needed.

northernmonkey Tue 16-Jun-09 11:35:58

Thankyou Guadalupe. I'm trying not to think about it and most of the time i'm fine. its just when i got that letter just now, it brought it all back and i'm thinking alsorts again. I must stop panicking

jugglingwoman Tue 16-Jun-09 11:57:58

I had colposcopy followed by cold coagulation (where they effectively burn off the bad cells) about 4 or 5 years ago. My sister had whatever it is that's the highest level before it's cancer-she had a cone biopsy where they take out part of your cervix (almost like an apple corer for want of a better description) at the same time. Both of us have had the all clear ever since and my sister has since had baby number 2.

It's understandable to panic but just remember, the reason people like Jade Goody got so far along is they didn't go for the tests or do as their doctor had advised. It's awful but it's the truth.

You'll be fine and in a few years you'll have forgotten all about it (until reading this post I had)!!

Good luck.

Guadalupe Tue 16-Jun-09 12:02:43

Well, I don't know why they sent you another letter a few days later, I can see why that would make you anxious, but perhaps it was to make sure you definitely keep the appointment. I was told at the colposcopy that mine was severe and that I needed the treatment there and then.

Cases like Jade Goody are not common and are nearly always because people haven't had their tests or follow up treatment. You are doing everything you should. Lots of mnetters have had treatment for CIN 3 (severe dysk) and although it's not nice having gynea stuff done, it is necessary and very quick. smile

TheOldestCat Tue 16-Jun-09 12:03:54

Same as jugglingwoman's sister, I had the most severe stage of precancerous cells a few years ago and am fine now. I had the biopsy, loop diathermy (the 'burning off' of the cells) and apart from having to go for yearly smears for five years after, have had no trouble. And I've had DD since.

I know it sounds scary, but please don't worry too much. It's very very very likely that you'll have some treatment for these precancerous (note the pre bit!) and will be absolutely fine.

I know quite a few people in real life who have had this and there are loads on MN too.

northernmonkey Tue 16-Jun-09 13:37:43

Thankyou so much all of you. You're all reassuring me so i'm grateful. I panicked a little because its been 5 years since my last test and apparantly they've changed it to 3 years now so i'm technically 2 years late. I've always gone for them so hopefully everything will be fine

TheOldestCat Wed 17-Jun-09 19:24:15

I'm sure it will, northernmonkey. Please don't worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now