Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

WHAT IS PROTEIN IN URINE

(10 Posts)
Lucan Tue 16-Jun-09 10:24:55

WHAT IS PROTEIN IN URINE

ABetaDad Tue 16-Jun-09 11:05:10

It is a simple test done by 'dipstick test' of a urine sample at a GP surgery that is usually used as a preliminary indicator of urinary tract infections. I have had dozens of them and only take a minute and pain free.

There is also a condition called Proteinuria but much rarer than protein in urine from an infection.

Biglips Tue 16-Jun-09 11:07:55

water infection

grumblinalong Tue 16-Jun-09 11:30:55

I had protein in my urine constantly in both my pregnancies - I had severe hyperemesis - and the hospital told me the protein indicated either that I was dehydrated/starving or had an infection (usually UTI). I have a vahue recollection of it being related to ketones too.

What were they testing your urine for?

grumblinalong Tue 16-Jun-09 11:31:21

vague - sorry

Horton Tue 16-Jun-09 11:40:53

I had protein in my urine when I was much younger, in my early to mid twenties. After loads of investigations, including a particularly enjoyable 24 hours when I had to carry a huge sloshing container of urine around and pee in it, it was concluded that there was nothing wrong with me and I just had leaky kidneys. So it might be nothing worth worrying about. Apparently it's quite common in younger people who are very active.

MIFLAW Tue 16-Jun-09 12:57:59

Sometimes a symptom of alcohol abuse

PortAndLemon Tue 16-Jun-09 13:02:20

In pregnancy it can also be a sign of preeclampsia (which is one reason they test for it all the time).

Quattrocento Tue 16-Jun-09 13:02:25

I was told it was something to do with ketones - which sounded approximately like the body digesting itself (not very scientific emoticon)

OrmIrian Tue 16-Jun-09 13:05:49

Ketones are produced by the breaking down of fat. You produce them when you are burning stored fat due to lack of food and/or huge physical exertion. Can happen in labour (always did to me and the mw always made me eat biscuits which I always threw up again hmm). I guess the loss of protein could happen at the same time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now