Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

nosebleeds - why would I suddenly start having them?

(6 Posts)
DottyDot Mon 15-Jun-09 22:12:56

Before I google and scare the bejesus out of myself...

Never had a nosebleed until last week - I've had one last week and one today. Would there be a reason or just another fun thing that happens? hmm

whomovedmychocolate Mon 15-Jun-09 22:16:41

Ooh many reasons, if you've had a cold you can damage the blood vessels by sneezing too much and make you more prone to them. You can have anemia, you can have a blood clotting disorder (I have, and you'd know about it - you'd have nose bleeds that don't stop until your nose is cauterised).

Most likely, you've had a virus which has irritated the lining of your nose. Unless it bleeds for more than an hour it's not a big deal.

DottyDot Mon 15-Jun-09 22:19:35

Thanks! Have googled, natch...

No colds or hayfever but maybe I've got a virus I don't know about?

I was mainly worried because I have a (growing) collection of auto immune stuff so wondered if this was linked to anything, but I can't find any links on the web so am relieved! smile

They're only small nosebleeds, just really weird that I've got to 40 without having one and then 2 come along at once! grin

whomovedmychocolate Mon 15-Jun-09 22:21:01

Aha! Are you by chance perimenopausal? That can cause nose bleeds! Sorry to bum you out further grin

schneebly Mon 15-Jun-09 22:21:08

colds and hayfever
rise in blood pressure also possible

or ahve you started picking it a lot? wink

DottyDot Mon 15-Jun-09 22:24:42

Oh good god - NO! I'm only 40 - I can't be perimenopausal can I??! (flashback to my Mum telling me a few years ago the women in our family get the menopause early).

Tra la laaa <fingers in ears>

And honest - I don't pick my nose - or at least no more than usual..! blush grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now