Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Eczema agony, 4 month old driving me to distraction

(9 Posts)
dizzymama Wed 11-May-05 21:14:43

If this message looks familiar it's becasue it's also on under another title but someone quite rightly pointed out I should put eczema in the thread title!

My dd is nearly 4 months and the poor mite has so many 'problems' at the moment she just seems to be constantly miserable. If she's awake then basically she's crying. I feel terrible for her and want to make her little life better but don't know what to do. She has eczema and this is irritating her, it's weeping and she scratches it and makes herself bleed. I put her in cotton sleep suits and mittens to stop her scratching but then she gets too hot andd that aggrevates the eczema too. She's just been put onto a lactose free milk by the HV but is starving as was previously on sma white as she's a big baby, the sma lf simply isn't touching her hunger and she's crying because she's so hungry. On top of this she's teething, she's getting to the stage where she needs weaning and (rather worryingly) she's just developed 'clicky joints'. OMG I'm knackered, she's knackered and I feel as if I'm about to lose control ! Not sure what anyone can do to help but I feel better for having ranted - of course, anyone who does have advice please, please, please tell me!

Orinoco Wed 11-May-05 21:28:04

Message withdrawn

dizzymama Wed 11-May-05 21:30:25

thanks orinoco, all advice is good! I am definitely thinking about getting her allergy tested.

Shazzler Wed 11-May-05 21:32:35

Just to add to Orinoco's comment, remember it is also advisable to check the fabric conditioner you use.

I always use non-bio washing powder but used to buy any fabric conditioner on offer. It was the GP who said to buy the white coloured ones.

Orinoco Wed 11-May-05 21:35:04

Message withdrawn

hotmama Wed 11-May-05 21:39:00

Oh dizzymama you poor thing - I hope things get better soon!

My dd suffers from eczema but it is getting much better. My GP prescribed Epaderm (sorry about spelling as I know this isn't right) and this has really helped. It can be rubbed into the skin and can be mixed with warm water and put into the bath - but beware in the bath and babies become very slippy!

It is best to bath in water with nothing added - but I have started usung Olitum? occasionally and this doesn't seem to irritate dd's skin.

I would recommend NOT using any perfumed stuff esp J*** stuff as this makes the eczema worse - I'm not the only one of mumsnet who thinks this.

My dd is 7 months and it started when she was about 4 months - apparently baby eczema is common and most grow out of it - dd's is getting better - I'm being really careful when weaning and dd doesn't seem to have any adverse reations sofar. HTH

dizzymama Wed 11-May-05 21:39:08

Amen to that!

dizzymama Wed 11-May-05 21:40:23

hotmama, thanks, it really does help to know I'm not alone. It's no fun is it?!

Ren12345 Sun 12-Jun-05 12:51:40

I was in same boat love, i have a 18 mth old girl she has had eczema, skin rashes since she was 3 mths old. After numerous trips to the doctors, natropaths etc nothing worked so i decided to do sum research for myself, found a product called MEGA OIL, "NUTRITION FOR THE SKIN" which is a range of Omega 3,6 and 9 fatty acids, combination of Flaxseed oil, soybean oil, evening primrose oil. I am telling you, you have to give it a go i just add 1 ml to her food each morning it has honestly worked wonders.1oo% natural and absoulutely no sign of any rashes since, has also improved her moods immensly. i think the webssite is Megaoil.com??? something like that, they also have baths oils containing emu oil etc and candula creams which were so soothing. Grahams Natural Alternatives.21 Maryland Ave.Carrara.QLD<AUSTRALIA 4211. Honestly it was a god send for my little rash free angel and our family!!!! Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now