Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

laryngitis - that is what i think i have. is it necessary to go docs?

(10 Posts)
juicychops Mon 15-Jun-09 15:23:59

had a cold for last 3 days had craoaky voice yesterday and my voice is totally gone today.

have a sore throat too. shall i wait a few days before going docs? dont want to go up there un-necessarily. the internet said see a gp if symptoms persist

im at work today and been doing so many typing errors its ridiculous! so think my co-ordination is a bit off too

happyflower Mon 15-Jun-09 21:58:43

I had laryngitis years ago as a student. Went to doc - advice was "don't talk" (not that I could anyway!). Yes, friends all found it hilarious, even thought I was putting the 'not being able to talk' thing on...
Since it's inflammation of the larynx (I think) the only advice is to rest it (i.e. no talking), and it gets better in a few days.

whomovedmychocolate Mon 15-Jun-09 22:03:33

Yeah, just shut up and drink lots of fluids, plus rest. It will go in seven to ten days and in the meantime practice being enigmatic grin

janeite Mon 15-Jun-09 22:07:20

No need to go to doctor's.

Lots of liquids. Soluable pain killers if it's really sore. Be quiet! Don't suck throat sweets as they dry out the mouth: you could suck on a mint or a barley sugar type sweet to help keep saliva working. Luke warm drinks like herbal tea with honey.

littlelamb Mon 15-Jun-09 22:12:07

I would go to the GP tbh. I was diagnosed with laryngitis three years ago and after 2 days was admitted to hospital unable to breathe, with a suspected quinsy and ended up having my throat lanced shock I had my tonsils out the year after and have had far fewer throat infections before, but having had that experience I am very cautious about throat problems- I was told that had I left it any longer the infection could have spread to my brain shock

whomovedmychocolate Mon 15-Jun-09 22:18:06

Lawks Littlelamb shock. Did your GP not notice anything other than the laryngitis then?

littlelamb Mon 15-Jun-09 22:27:48

wmmc, I used to get tonsillitus all the time. Every minth almost. And I begged them to take them out. This time, I could tell it was going to be bad, and I went back 2 days in a row asking for antibiotics, only to be refused as it was against practice policy to 'just hand them out' shock I woke up on the morning of the third day with tonsils so large I couldn't breathe or swallow my spit (nice). I had to call an ambulance and take dd with me, in her pjs and dirty nappy, I couldn't tell them where I was but thank god I was on the landline as they told me they knew where I was, just go and wait by the door. It was HORRIBLE, and it was only after that that they agreed to finally take my tonsils out. I was writing my disertation at the time as well which screwed it up a bit. I was very angry for a long time with the woman I saw at my surgery. I won't see her now, I'd rather wait for an appointment than have her misdiagnose me like that again angry

whomovedmychocolate Mon 15-Jun-09 22:31:40

Oh littlelamb that's awful sad

I had my tonsils removed as a child because I also got tonsillitus about once a quarter and I had to have my adenoids removed as well. It's funny how they are so reluctant to do it these days even when it's clinically sensible. hmm

juicychops Tue 16-Jun-09 08:39:03

morning everyone thanks for your replies.

went docs yesterday evening and it is defo laryngitis. he offered to sign me off work today but i said no as my attendence is quite bad (not cos im ill lots, but cos i only work 2 days per week it makes it look awful if i am off)

my voice has come back a bit today but been coughing up phlem all morning and all bunged up. think its the cold proper coming out now!! sore throat is still there too and chest feels a bit tight when i breathe but im sure it will pass with some flu tablets

hate being at work ill!!! my work are not sympathetic towards me when im ill

whomovedmychocolate Wed 17-Jun-09 21:51:31

Ah don't worry juicychops, they'll all catch it and then be sorry (perhaps that's why they aren't being too nice) grin

Glad things are developing well - once you have started coughing up the phlegm you are in the home stretch

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now