Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Spurred on by the poo thread, I think DH has IBS. How do I get him to do something about it?

(8 Posts)
ShowOfHands Mon 15-Jun-09 14:15:48

I apologise if you've just had lunch.

We've been together for 10 years and he's been like this as far back as I can remember.

I'll try not to be too graphic.

He veers from constipation to desperate, need to go now, loose poo and he can not go for a day but then need to go several times in an hour. He has days when he says he doesn't feel empty and keeps going but can't get rid of the feeling. He also has stomach cramps alongside all of this and it can smell dreadful.

I don't know if there's some relation but he has migraines that seem to be food related and when he has a migraine, even a headache actually, he has an upset stomach.

He doesn't help himself by sitting on the loo for hours reading I'm sure.

Does this sound like IBS?

He Will Not go to the doctor. He is ashamed.

What can I do?

OrmIrian Mon 15-Jun-09 14:18:35

It does rather. I don't see why he doesn't want to do something about it. DH had it and it was agony.

He got rid of it by changing his diet - he went gluten-free for a period of time. Now he is much much better but can't drink red wine anymore.

Is your DH stressed? That was my DH's trigger.

shootfromthehip Mon 15-Jun-09 14:20:21

I have IBS and when I have a flair up it does sound similar to that

shootfromthehip Mon 15-Jun-09 14:23:45

Is he bleeding too? If so he needs to go to the Doc!

ShowOfHands Mon 15-Jun-09 14:24:36

He's not stressed but he's quite anxious generally. It's just his way. He is a police officer so works odd hours and is working in a stressful environment which probably doesn't help. He sleeps badly too.

He is sometimes doubled over in pain. sad

We had a housemate at university who had IBS who described every single visit to the toilet in great detail and kept offering to let us feel the 'compacted matter' in her stomach. It was vile and dh refuses to be like her (his only basis for reference). He's just embarrassed.

ShowOfHands Mon 15-Jun-09 14:25:44

No bleeding no. He has in the past bled and seen a doctor who said he had piles and told him to eat more fibre. They flare up when he's constipated but otherwise no blood.

OrmIrian Mon 15-Jun-09 14:26:52

Oh dear SOH. It really is agony (well according to DH). I don't know what to say. DH ended up having a colonoscopy as the pain was so bad they worried he might have a tumour (FIL had colon cancer). Not sure that would help encourage your DH or not hmm

Thegreenfliesareonme Tue 16-Jun-09 21:56:13

I suffered from IBS for many years & the pain was horrendous. Although stress was a trigger, I found that changing my diet has helped tremendously. I avoid too much sugar/chocolate/junk etc, and find that lots of bio yogurt & linseeds (either on cereals or in bread) really help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now