Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Day 10 of diarrhea - any suggestions?

(3 Posts)
cbmum Sat 13-Jun-09 09:30:06

DD is 9mths old in a few days time and we're on day 10 of diarrhea. She is bottle fed but was up to 3 good meals plus milk per day. Initially she was less interested in food and having her usual stuff just less of it. I took her to see the GP at the start of last week (day 6) who said she probably had gastroenteritus but as she looks fine - apart from being slightly slimmer now - not to worry. I've avoided giving her dairy on the recommendation of the GP and since then she's mainly been having bread and banana but even that seems to come straight through.

Any suggestions? I tried her with some porridge for breakfast but after 2 spoons full she wasn't interested. DD had a few bites of my bagel and a bit of milk but nothing else.

I'm giving her extra milk as she's not doing food much at the moment but how much longer can I expect this to go on for and do I take her back to the GP after the weekend? (She's happy in herself just constantly producing bright yellow poos!)

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 13-Jun-09 11:40:38

Message withdrawn

feelingbetter Sat 13-Jun-09 16:57:32

My DS had it for 6 (yes, 6!) weeks after some hefty doses of antibiotics and picking up rotavirus in hospital just as things were settling down (Grrrr!)

Try not to worry if she is fine in herself. As long as she is getting plenty of fluids, she'll be fine. We got some dioralyte from the hosp but you can get it from Tesco. DS loves the blackcurrant one, but I'm reliably informed that most babies don't like it as it tastes quite salty (it does).

The other thing we did on the advice of the Doc was to give him 10mls of actimel a day. Their thinking was he'd had the runs for so long, he could do with a top up of good bacteria. Can't say if it worked or whether it was coincidence, but we saw an improvement after 4 or 5 days, and he has been fine since!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now