Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anybody want to help decide about the coil please?!?! Pretty please?

(15 Posts)
JennyPenny22 Fri 12-Jun-09 21:32:06

I can't stop worrying about this. Basically, I have got pregnant of both the pill (could possibly have been my fault as wasn't 100% carefull all the time) and the mini pill (I was VERY careful this time and always took it AND I was exclusivly breastfeeding my nearly 6 month old).

So I want to use a different type of contraceptive and liked the sound of the marina coil. When I had my 6 week postnatal check last week I asked for it and my doctor said I was too young for the marina coil and it was only really aimed at people aged 40+??? She booked me in to have a normal coil fitted on monday, but I am not worried. I have looked up about it online and found several reasons why it might not be suitable:

- It says it might not be suitable for heavy periods as it makes them heavier - I Do have very heavy periods already (already have to wera both a tampon and towel at the same time even in the day, at night I have to get up and change during the night even with both on).
- It can make you annemic due to the extra blood loss - I am already slightly anemic!
- IT makes your periods longer and more painful - don't think I could cope with them being worse. I am already throwing up with them :-(
- It can make you gain weight - I am desperatly trying to loose weight with diet and excersice and I don't want this to undo all my hard work!

What can I do? I am booked in to have it on Monday! IS it true I am too young for the marina?

I was thinking of the implant but decided I wouldn't be able to go through the insertion/removing it (I am VERY needle phobic).

CMOTdibbler Fri 12-Jun-09 21:35:31

I had my first Mirena fitted when I was 28, and the doctor who fitted it was about the same age and had one. So the 40+ thing isn't right at all

naturalblonde Fri 12-Jun-09 21:36:14

I'm 30 and have the mirena coil.

Having it fitted wass not very nice though, although I haven't had a period since it was fitted which is lovely.

expatinscotland Fri 12-Jun-09 21:38:07

TONS of threads on here about this.

Please searc 'Mirena' and/or 'coil' in the health and chat sections.

It's not 'marina'. It's Mirena.

DO NOT ALLOW SOMEONE TO BAMBOOZLE YOU INTO A BIRTH CONTROL CHOICE YOU ARE NOT 100% COMFORTABLE WITH.

Don't go on Monday. Just cancel.

samsonthecat Fri 12-Jun-09 21:38:18

I am 34 and had the choice which one I wanted.

BEAUTlFUL Fri 12-Jun-09 21:41:19

From those facts you posted, I think it sounds like it's not the right option for you, doesn't it? How would your DH feel about having the snip?

Sidge Fri 12-Jun-09 21:44:20

You doctor is talking bollocks.

There is no minimum age to have a Mirena.

expatinscotland Fri 12-Jun-09 21:46:31

Yeah, that's true, there's no minimum age to have the Mirena.

JennyPenny22 Fri 12-Jun-09 21:57:29

Thank you. Sorry I can't spell! Lol

I could cancel - but I still need something done! There is only the one doctor at my surgery (well, and her husband who works a few hours a week).

Don't want DH to get the snip. I am only 22 and he is 24 so wouldn't want to rule out the option of having more children all together (later on down the line). But at the same time, I would be mortified if I got pregnant again now!! (Both my girls are under 18months - hard enough thanks!)

Can I go to a family planning clinic and ask for a mirena coil there?

Another thing I read was that there are not many GPs that are well trained enough to do it themselves, which she is planning to do?

howtotellmum Fri 12-Jun-09 22:14:07

Have you thought about the pill again?
Obviously you need to be pretty careful taking it at the right time and allowing for tummy upsets, sickness, and any other drugs that might interfere with it. It is still by far the most reliable method if used properly.

The mini pill is not as reliable, and does have ahigher failure rate as it doesn't stop vulation, only thickens cervical mucus and makes implantation harder.

expatinscotland Fri 12-Jun-09 22:17:24

YES! You can definitely go to your FPC for a Mirena. Believe you me, they will be more than happy to insert one if that is what you want. In larger cities, they usually bring in a GYN consultant one or two days a week for an afternoon who will do nothing but fit those things, so you're actually better off going in there if you want to try a Mirena.

louismummy Fri 12-Jun-09 22:31:43

i had a mirena coil aged 23, before children. was great but the hormone definitely affecting my libido. i now have the old coil and have very heavy periods... but libido is back up ( a bit)

PuddingSpoon Sat 13-Jun-09 00:27:13

I have the Mirena coil and it is very safe, but I must admit I don't like it. I have lost my sex drive almost completely and I get horrible discharge and no proper periods, but I do get occasional bad period pains and spotting. Also, I feel that I don't really know what's going on down there! (What is or isn't because of the coil.) Am currently hoping husband will have the snip.

dizietsma Sat 13-Jun-09 01:00:12

Copper coil will not make you put on weight, Mirena will though. The progesterone in Mirena is the reason you'll put on weight, copper does not have hormones and so does not have that issue.

I got the copper coil and it did make my periods a little bit heavier, for about 3 months, but it's all settled now and I'm very happy with it.

I've had long-term progesterone contraceptive like Mirena in the form of depo-provera the contraceptive injection and I would urge you to avoid it. It made my libido die, I put on 3 stone, got depressed, got migraines more easily, became breathless on mild exertion, got killer back problems and my periods went crazy for 2 years (two weeks on two weeks off), as a result I was essentially infertile for 2 years. The infertility issue is why doctors are now advising younger women to avoid Mirena and contraceptive injections with progesterone.

If you already have intense periods I can understand your reluctance to get the copper coil, however. Have you considered using other forms of contraceptive like a diaphragm? I found it a bit fiddly, but have a difficult to reach cervix. You may be different, and the plus side is that you don't have to take hormones and it wont affect your periods.

Also, have you tried using a mooncup for your periods? They're awesome, and even on my heaviest day it rarely fills up to half full between emptying.

howtotellmum Sat 13-Jun-09 13:40:12

Just wanted to add that the diaphram does have a quite high failure rate- about 4-5%. I used it between DCs, when another DC would not have been a terrible event, but wouldn't touch it if I didn't want any more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now