Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any tips on reducing Peripheral Neuropathy Burning pain (in leg)??

(15 Posts)
Milliways Fri 12-Jun-09 20:30:49

My leg is on fire

I have some Peripheral Neuropathy symptoms. Mainly my calf, but some mild sensations in hands, feet & face - but they don't hurt, my leg DOES.

Blood tests are clear, so not anaemic, and I have a Neurology appointment next month, but do any sufferers have any remedies/helpful hints? I feel like I want to slap E45 cream in it, but that's not going to help!

Please?

Quattrocento Fri 12-Jun-09 20:38:27

Have you been diagnosed with this? Not clear from your post. It doesn't sound exactly like peripheral neuropathy - usually starts with numb fingers and aching toes.

I sincerely hope you don't have it. It's a chronic and ultimately incurable condition I'm afraid (DH has it). The forms of pain relief he's tried are acupuncture, spas, etc. Ultimately the best thing is lots of rest - the symptoms get more acute with tiredness. Steroids can help considerably as apparently they work to keep the inflammation down but they do have side effects.

Milliways Fri 12-Jun-09 20:47:45

The GP said it is deffo nerves.

I have Meralgia Parasthetica which affects my hip & thigh, and thought this was do do with that (same leg) but it's not. It is a "Neuropathy" and GP said probably Peripheral Neuropathy, but having a Neurology appointment to find out the cause.

I only have anti-inflammatories like diclofenac or paracetamol type stuff in.

I am hoping they will find a nerve compression or something that can be fixed. Just don't know what to do for relief until then.

Quattrocento Fri 12-Jun-09 20:49:59

TBH the burning pain sounds more (to my uneducated ear) like a nerve compression. Hope so for you. Do try the resting thing though.

Good luck

difficultdecision Fri 12-Jun-09 20:50:59

have you tried capsaicin cream? might be worth a try - talk to your GP

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Fri 12-Jun-09 20:52:00

I've had this in my arm and face, I've been seeing a chiropractor for the last month which has really helped.

Milliways Fri 12-Jun-09 20:52:11

No I haven't - is it available over the counter?

Milliways Fri 12-Jun-09 20:52:52

Fluffy - is yours a compression in the spine?

Quattrocento Fri 12-Jun-09 20:55:44

DH mentions a good book on it called Numb fingers and aching soles. I'll try to find a link. Meanwhile have a look at this link

Milliways Fri 12-Jun-09 20:59:36

Thanks Quattro - I had just been reading that!

Just google Capsaicin cream - seems to need prescribing?

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Fri 12-Jun-09 21:04:26

I have something wrong with the top vertebrae, I had an MRI last week and should go back to see the neurologist (who diagnosed a migraine! hmm) in July. The best the neurologist could come up with was drugs for epileptics that cause weight loss (diarrhoea), mood swings, fatigue etc and sent me for an MRI for 'reassurance', get the picture? I thought sod that and went to see a chiropractor. Within 10 minutes he found out what was wrong, I moved my head one way and my legs were so weak he could almost push me off the bed! He's pinpointed it to C1, which is at the very top of my spine, just below my skull. It is getting better with every appointment and the burning in my arm/face, leg weakness, pins and needles have almost gone. It's worth a try, some GP's can refer patients, some don't and they have to pay. It depends on the PCT policy.

Milliways Fri 12-Jun-09 21:10:22

Thank you! I will try that if neurologist no help

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 12-Jun-09 21:14:57

Message withdrawn

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Fri 12-Jun-09 21:44:57

smile I hope you find the answer, neuropathy can be really annoying.

difficultdecision Sat 13-Jun-09 12:55:33

yes capsaicin needs prescribing so would need to have a chat with your GP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now