Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

really annoying thorn in my foot

(14 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 12-Jun-09 19:26:57

I've had a thorn in my foot for 2 weeks now - its from a pyracantha bush. After a week of it being tender dh tried to get it out with a needle and tweezers but its just too deep and I nearly went through the roof (not normally a baby with these things) For something so tiny its really starting to annoy me!

Any tips on how to get it out please?

WorzselMummage Fri 12-Jun-09 19:31:03

Ouchee !

Have you tried having a really hot bath? i find that usually helps works splinters out.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 12-Jun-09 19:40:05

I'm going to have a go at that again!

really grrr at it now. I contorted myself so I could try digging it out but after a good try its now gone all red and inflamed so that none of us can see it. I can feel it still there though.

Might get desperate enough to eat a banana and stick the peel on it over night.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 12-Jun-09 19:41:21

You need to send your DH out to the chemist for some magnesium sulphate paste (otherwise known as 'drawing ointment') which draws any foreign item to the surface of the skin and allows it to be removed.

Otherwise you will end up needing a doctor to poke you with tweezers eek!

whomovedmychocolate Fri 12-Jun-09 19:41:57

how sad am I to know that hmm

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 12-Jun-09 19:43:06

really? Excellent I'll wait til morning cos I'm sure if its lasted 2 weeks I can last over night.
oh hooray some hope, thank you

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 12-Jun-09 19:44:42

I think its a cool thing to know!

whomovedmychocolate Fri 12-Jun-09 19:45:00

Costs about £2 a pot and lasts for about a decade in the medicine cabinet. You need a lolly stick to apply it with (good excuse for an icecream if you ask me!) Any decent pharmacy will have some.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 12-Jun-09 19:46:48

I only know because I used to tend roses with my granny and we were forever getting thorns stuck right into my hands (back when roses smelled like roses and had proper thorns). Bloody hate roses. Don't eat the mag sulphate (unless pregnant with pre-eclampsia when it might actually help!) grin

WorzselMummage Fri 12-Jun-09 19:47:00

I recommend an almond magnum wink

Good luck

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 12-Jun-09 20:27:58

lol - will administer one almond magnum and one blob of magnesium sulphate in the am! thanks

GentleOtter Fri 12-Jun-09 20:32:27

You could try a hot bread poultice which will start the 'draw' before you get the mag sulph.
Put some boiling water in a cup and add a slice of white bread. Apply the very hot soggy mass to splinter and cover it with a flannel.
Leave it on for about 15 mins, eat the Magnum, then reapply.
The yeast in the bread pulls out the thorn.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 12-Jun-09 20:37:00

GentleOtter's remedy can also be tried while eating pizza or biscuits if you have no pizza in the house grin

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 12-Jun-09 22:21:08

grin

We have some rye bread in?! and perhaps a glass of currant gin in lieu of the magnum?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now