Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ferrous Fumarate - any experience?

(7 Posts)
LumpyChump Fri 12-Jun-09 15:55:18

I have been taking these since Monday.

Since yesterday morning I have been getting quite bad tummy cramps like bad wind pains and feeling like I really need the toilet but when I go am constipated.

(TMI) Stools are also black hmm

Is this the norm on these tabs. I've googled and it's come up with conflicting info.

Kathyis6incheshigh Fri 12-Jun-09 15:56:28

Yes I took those once and had black poo and terrible constipation.

flamingobingo Fri 12-Jun-09 15:56:33

constipated and black poos normal on iron. If it's too annoying then ask to switch to somethign else, although ferrous fumerate is one of hte milder ones.

slightlyonedgemum Fri 12-Jun-09 17:10:08

That does sound normal. Try taking Floradix (which midwives sometimes suggest after childbirth). I took it after being anaemic for ages and it worked quicker than the pills and didn't have such a normal effect.

olivo Fri 12-Jun-09 21:10:12

i have just started on these ,was alos prescribed lactulose to prevent/ease constipation. floradix or spatone are meant to be good for iron top up.

hercules1 Fri 12-Jun-09 21:11:37

I'm on them too. Tis normal.

PerfectPrefect Fri 12-Jun-09 21:11:57

Isn't there one which MN always recommend that doesn't have the same effect on the bowels? Is it Spatone?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now