Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

ds sees consultant today - I'm terrified

(15 Posts)
morocco Wed 11-May-05 09:27:51

today is the first day with the consultant (ds has just been diagnosed with childhood nephrotic syndrome, kidney thing) and I'm in bits about it. Today his urine showed protein again and he's got a cold too - I'm of course terrified it will turn out to be pneumonia or meningitis or something awful instead of just a cold which of course it is really. What if they admit him to hospital again because of the protein - I just can't face it all again - not so soon. My mum's taken him out for a walk (he seems fine) and I'm just crying and crying. I wish the consultant would tell me that it will all just go away, but I know I have to calm down and accept that things will be up and down like this for a while.
Oh bloody hell.
Girls, I really need you to tell me to calm down, it will all be fine, and I can cope with this.

coppertop Wed 11-May-05 09:36:53

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get the good news you're hoping for. Good luck. xx

whymummy Wed 11-May-05 09:39:55

oh morocco sorry your going through this,he's going to be ok,he's in good hands,i'm sure they're going to take good care of him,don't worry,it is just a cold you'll see

hoxtonchick Wed 11-May-05 09:42:27

calm down, it'll all be fine! will be thinking about you today, hope the consultant is one of the human ones....

morocco Wed 11-May-05 09:53:57

What a rollercoaster of a month - can I stop and get off please?
I'm off to do some productive cleaning with lots of noisy hoovering and banging around.

morocco Wed 11-May-05 09:56:02

forgot to say, thanks girls, it's good to 'talk'. Kind of you to think of us all. I hope I can update you all this evening with lots of positive things

fionagib Wed 11-May-05 09:57:38

loads of luck morocco xxxxx

lyndap Wed 11-May-05 10:28:51

Hope it all goes well for you and ds. It's awful when your kids are ill; you wish you could take on any illness or pain for them. Hopefully you'll feel a bit better once you know what's what - sometimes it's the worrying about "what ifs" that really does you in.
Good luck and big hugsx

coppertop Wed 11-May-05 15:34:06

How did it go, morocco?

KBear Wed 11-May-05 16:02:31

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

morocco Wed 11-May-05 16:55:52

we're back and I'm much calmer - you are so right about the 'what if's'lyndap, and I'm a 'sort this out now' kindagirl really, I don't do uncertainty very well at all
the consultant was very calm and very sweet, ran through all the options and made it sound like even if this treatment doesn't work out, the next line stuff is not so bad either, and helped me remember that this is treatable so I should not flap around so much (he didn't actually imply that last bit though)
ds's protein is still increasing but to be monitored over the next few days then they will refer to Leeds if necessary and either up his medication, although it is already more or less max strength, or go for biopsy for more information. And he must be good at his job because the idea of biopsy sounded totally routine!
So all is under control and we are in safe hands and I have to relax and stop trying to buy ds everything in the world that he even looks at just to compensate
hope you don't mind if I post updates here over the next few days, it helps to have space to write it all down and think it through a bit. I haven't wanted to talk to many people in RL yet about it cos it makes me want to cry. cyber space is much more chilled out.

Goldfish Wed 11-May-05 17:14:52

Hi morroco, just wanted to wish you and your ds well. I'm glad you saw a good consultant. It does help when they explain things clearly and calm you down. Hope you feel a bit better this afternoon. Hugs to you and ds xxx

noddyholder Wed 11-May-05 17:17:20

I am so glad you have a good consultant.Hope your ds gets better soon the treatments as far as I know are very successful and aren't in any way horrendous hth xx

whymummy Wed 11-May-05 17:27:55

please do morocco keep us updated,he's going to be fine and like your consultant said it is treatable and he's in really good hands for the sound of it

coppertop Wed 11-May-05 18:44:05

I'm so glad it went well, morocco. Yes, please do post updates on here. All the best to you and ds.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: