Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Physio - Does it work or not?

(4 Posts)
dontdillydally Fri 12-Jun-09 11:36:50

my Dad has very weak leg muscles (he's late 70's) and is in hosp and having physio.

Some people including my Dad are very sceptical about it - are there any MN's that are physios out there that can give me some advice?

oneforward20back Fri 12-Jun-09 12:05:12

Am not physio but it has worked for both my nans bespite arthritis. In my experience physio's try to specifically target the muscle groups that are weak/stiff to strengthen and increase flexibility. It also worked after knee surgery on me but it does take time and can be uncomfortable as the muscles gain strength (or maybe i had evil physio hmm)

potplant Fri 12-Jun-09 12:10:52

I had physio on my leg to strengthen the muscles supporting my dodgy knee. Made a big difference, so much so that I could take up running.

What I did find is that it took a couple of weeks to see results though so perhaps that's why your Dad is a bit cynical.

I'm no physio and I'm not in my late 70's but it worked for me.

dontdillydally Fri 12-Jun-09 14:48:51

thank you I think its a matter of getting this through to him - I just feel as though he has given up like they say "You can take a horse to water but you cant make it drink"!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now