Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone experience of stair lifts - I may need to get one installed

(6 Posts)
dontdillydally Fri 12-Jun-09 11:35:10

The muscles in my Dad's legs have literally gone weak and he evry now and again collapses and can get them working again, he does no exercise and this doesn thelp.

He is in hosp at moment and having a course of physio. He lives in a largish house with a large flight of stairs and I think int he long run he will need a stair lift as there is no extra room downstairs to convert.

Dont think he will get one for free from SS so wondered how and where to go about buying one for him - any ideas?

NorbertDentressangle Fri 12-Jun-09 11:40:56

You should be able to get some info from SS even if they won't be funding it. Has your Dad been allocated a Social Worker / Home/Hospital Liaison person ?

There are companies out there whereby you buy a stairlift that they come and install and then when its no longer needed they buy it back from you (almost like leasing it in a way I suppose).

It might also be worth phoning Age Concern too as they are usually very good at suggesting where to go for things like this and offering advice on what your Dad may be entitled to.

dontdillydally Fri 12-Jun-09 14:43:40

Wonderful advice many thanks. He is still in hospital and SS havent been contacted yet as not fully recovered

tigerdriver Fri 12-Jun-09 15:35:51

My parents recently got one (for both of them, both have mobility probs) from SS. They also got an assessment from a social worker (more like an occupational therapist, but for living needs in home IYSWIM) which was really helpful. They didn't have to pay for it, and apparently it was about £5k worth of kit as they have a mezzanine and it had to go round the bend. Definitely worth asking, apparently their local council has an underused budget for this sort of thing because people don't ask.
Sorry to hear your dad isn't well, these things just seem to escalate when they're getting on.

NorbertDentressangle Fri 12-Jun-09 15:39:38

Next time you visit him or phone the hospital check with the ward staff what their proceedures are regarding help with discharge home. At least that way you will know who should be in contact (and when) as it always helps to know what everyone is working towards and the timescale.

IME they tend to hold a meeting at some point involving everyone concerned eg. ward staff, physios, OT, SS, family etc. to make a discharge plan.

Good luck

sarah293 Fri 12-Jun-09 15:40:44

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now