Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

hayfever question: fishy eyes!!! NHS Direct too busy to answer non-emergency call. Help?

(10 Posts)
Numberfour Thu 11-Jun-09 21:49:26

I am a fairly new hay fever sufferer. Only been about 4 years or so. My one eye has become extremely uncomfortable today after a 30 Min outing to the park with DS and child minded school boy.

I have been prescribed Optilast and have had 2 drops this pm.

My question is: my I just endure despite two eye drop treatments in 4 hours or are there better drops out there?

For horrible reasons, DH and i are on working tax credits so get our prescriptions free - should I ask for an alternate script?? or is this one the best there is????

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Thu 11-Jun-09 21:51:52

Sunglasses will help to keep the pollen away from your eyes. smile

Numberfour Thu 11-Jun-09 22:04:14

thanks, fluffybunnymayishortenyournamewithtouappearingtoofamiliar?

seems i should get those really attractive wrap around pairs of sunglasses .......

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Thu 11-Jun-09 22:06:48

Fluffy's cool. I do need to change it but hey ho, it's growing on me. Are you not taking any anithistamines? Mine itch like mad in the summer, I find that elderflower cordial works not as well as the drugs but it's bearable.

HelloBeastie Thu 11-Jun-09 22:11:50

...fishy? Fishy how?!

Are you taking anti-histamine tablets as well, or just eye drops?

My hay fever starts with nose rather than eyes, and also I don't really go out in the pollen season (I've given up all hope!) but when I do have to go out, I find sodium cromoglycate eye drops are quite soothing. That's Opticrom and I think in various own brands as well. Don't know about prescriptions as I just buy it over the counter...

But yeah, I think eye drops keep getting washed out of your eyes with tears etc so anything I've ever taken, you do have to take them quite regularly. If it's any consolation, it gets easier to put them in with practise!

Numberfour Thu 11-Jun-09 22:11:53

grin fluffy!

yip, antihistamine, eye drops, beconase - what else?

I will def try elderflower cordial and I have heard that locally produced honey may be effective. Thing is I am so new to this that at 43 I am willing to try whatever I can to make this go away!

my sister gets it very very badly (in South Africa - I am in England) and I feel so bad for not having been more sympathetic towards her previously.

That'll teach me!

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Thu 11-Jun-09 22:14:35

Mine started when I was 14 and I've had it every year since, I'm now 31 so I've had many years from hell. It has got easier in the last couple of years, the elderflower cordial really helps but I do sometimes have to take an antihistamine. Sun glasses keep the pollen out of my eyes, the trick is not to start to rub them though.

HelloBeastie Thu 11-Jun-09 22:19:36

The elderflower cordial... is for drinking, right?

Numberfour Thu 11-Jun-09 22:27:12

eye, there's the rub.... (ye gods!)

me and my eyes have been rubbing and rubbing and rubbing and scratching and scratching and scratching. not been told not to before. lesson learned every day.

hellobeastie - grin

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Thu 11-Jun-09 23:10:30

You have a glass of elderflower squash, first thing in the morning. Don't rub. The more you rub, the itchier they get. Nasty!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now