Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Poorly Ds...Does this sound familar to anyone ????

(27 Posts)
nutcracker Tue 10-May-05 18:29:38

Ds (2.5) has suddenly become strangly ill.

This morning he was perfectly fine and has been all day. Ate his breakfast fine, weetabix and a pear,but then refused his lunch.

Had a good sleep this afternoon as usual and then after school we popped into my moms where he was absolutly fine, running around etc.

Since we got home though he has gone rapidly downhill.
He sat on the floor watching tv whilst i did dinner and i noticed he was dithering, felt his head and he was roasting and his eyes were watering. He refused all of his dinner and keeps making a noise like when you have a hair stuck in the back of your throat.
He kept asking to go to bed so I have just put him up, but am not really happy about it.
Oh have given him nurofen too.

Have never seen him become so poorly so quickly.
Have tried asking him if anywhere hurts but he says no to everything.

Does this pattern sound familar to anyone ??

nutcracker Tue 10-May-05 18:35:47

Sorry to bump so soon, am a bit anxious

Donbean Tue 10-May-05 18:38:24

tonsils possibly. OBVIOUSLY you have checked him all over for rashes, chicken pox etc?

SoupDragon Tue 10-May-05 18:38:39

I don't think it sounds overly alarming but would be watching him closely. My DSs seem to get ill v quickly but bounce back v quickly too.

SoupDragon Tue 10-May-05 18:39:29

Fluey cold with an annoying tickle in his throat?

nutcracker Tue 10-May-05 18:39:33

Yep have checked him all over and asked him if various bits of his body hurt but he said no.

The clearing the throat thing was spooking me a bit though.

nutcracker Tue 10-May-05 18:40:27

Yeah spose it could be that Soupy. Hopefully that rather than a sickness bug.

He just seems weird.

Donbean Tue 10-May-05 18:41:51

this is by far the most worrying time as a mum, when they are ill. one million things race round your head dont they.
Is he able to swallow fluids?

nutcracker Tue 10-May-05 18:43:11

Well he refused a drink. He did have a bit of chocolate at my moms but he coughed a few times when eating that and looked like he didn't really want it.

It's no good i have to go check him again.

nutcracker Tue 10-May-05 18:44:56

He is fast asleep and seems fine, still a bit hot and breathing rather fast but other than that fine.

angelp Tue 10-May-05 18:46:11

Keep an eye for spots. So much chickenpox around at the moment and my DD went downhill literally in front of my eyes. No throst thing though....

Donbean Tue 10-May-05 18:47:19

If you are really worried nutcracker, is there a walk in centre or Call out system for a GP near by. It may be the only thing to put your mind at rest hun.

nutcracker Tue 10-May-05 18:48:11

Wouldn't actually mind if he got chicken pox as i'd rather he got it out of the way now.

Will keep my eyes peeled. No doubt i'll be up and down the stairs like a yo yo tonight.

nutcracker Tue 10-May-05 18:49:40

The g.ps won't do home visits. There is a badger out of hours clinic at the hospital but they are pretty crap so will keep that as a last resort.

Thanks for the advice everyone

Donbean Tue 10-May-05 18:54:29

Hope your night isnt too awful chuck. Let us know how he is wont you.

bluebear Tue 10-May-05 19:21:39

I'd have guessed at tonsillitus - when I had it a couple of weeks ago, it started with a temperature, and a feeling just like having a hair stuck at the back of my throat.

Hope he's feeling better soon.

nutcracker Tue 10-May-05 19:23:03

Will certainly keep you all posted.

Will try and get a look at his throat in the morning.

Joley Tue 10-May-05 19:26:21

Keep an eye on the cough, if it turns barking like a sea lion it could be croup where everything swells at the back of the throat. This can be triggered by a virus. It's happend to us a few times. Usually calmed down by sitting in the bathroom with ds with the shower running, the steam seems to ease it. If any breathing difficulties must go to A&E (had to do this once).
Hope the cough isn't like this and it's just a virus.

sunchowder Tue 10-May-05 19:27:59

Sleep is the best thing Nutty, if you can try to elevate his head so that he can breathe better for tonight. Try not to worry that he didn't eat, but if he does wake, see if you can get him to drink some water. Hope he feels better soon, I know how worrying it is when they are not well.

nutcracker Tue 10-May-05 19:28:05

He has had croup twice, and the last time we did have to take him to a&e where he was observed for a few hours and given steroids.

Will definatly be looking out for that.

nutcracker Tue 10-May-05 19:29:33

I know it is worrying. Doesn't matter which one of my kids it is, it always sends me into a panic when they are ill, esepcially when they were fine earlier in the day.

Joley Tue 10-May-05 19:32:28

Could be tonsillitis then nutcracker, ds had this frequently and always triggered the croup. Got so bad that he had his tonsils and adenoids removed at age 2. Tonsils were so large that they didn't have to swell much before caused breathing difficulties. Hope it doesn't go that way for you tonight, it's really scary.

Fingers crossed he'll be much better by morning
XX

nutcracker Tue 10-May-05 19:40:36

Thanks , your right it does sound scary.

I just checked him again when i put the dd's to bed and he was awake but just lying there quietly so i left him to it.

Wallace Tue 10-May-05 21:47:07

Ds did that once - getting really hot very quickly. I think it was just a virus, and he got better very quickly too

PrincessPeahead Tue 10-May-05 22:12:07

nutty my ds1 (4yrs) did this on sun night - was fine on the weekend, running around at 100mph as usual. at 10pm he got out of bed and came downstairs all upset - fever of 39.1. Have been calpoling him intermittently ever since. When his fever is down he is OK (but tired, having naps etc) and when it is up he is miserable. It has now been 48 hrs. No other symptoms, no rash, no funny tummy, no sickness, no cough. Said he had a sore throat once but I've looked and it looks completely clear to me. I'm assuming it is a virus but will take him to doc if it doesn't start improviing tomorrow.

The others are all fine! Odd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now