Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Smear test results, what is a normal time scale for them to come back?

(4 Posts)
lumpsdumps Wed 10-Jun-09 19:13:28

I had my routine smear test done on the 15th April and I still haven't had any results, just a letter to say I hadn't had it done hmm I double checked with the doctors and they said it's all on my records as it being done, but no idea of when the results would come through. Am concerned there is something wrong and that's why it hasn't come back.

jmontan27 Wed 10-Jun-09 20:38:38

I had a smear done mid March and only got the results last week (3 months later!). The nurse who did the smear told me it's normally 6 weeks, but because of the "Jade Goody effect" (ie increase in uptake of cervical screening), to expect the results to take a lot longer. She actually said "don't worry if you don't hear anything for a while, it doesn't mean anything bad". So, please don't worry.smile

maidenvoyage Wed 10-Jun-09 21:15:14

Hi, I phoned my doctors last week because I have not had my result yet after 9 weeks. (This was my first smear in twelve years so i was getting pretty worried), but was told the same after the Jade Goody scare they are so far behind with results. So waiting a bit longer is not necessarily bad news.

BellaNoir Wed 10-Jun-09 22:50:39

Lumpsdumps
The HA system which sends the 'please come for a test' letter may not have been updated with tests which are the hospital lab system waiting to be screened. Some areas have computer systems which are able to talk to each other so a 'reminder letter' won't be sent if your sample has sent in; not all systems are up to it unfortunately.
The waiting time for the backlog of tests varies between areas so some have got 3 months worth, others a month. We've caught up a lot and are doing ours within 2 weeks.
The surgery might tell you they don't know but they could ring the lab ask what 'date taken' is currently being screened, so they can let their patients know how long they are likely to be waiting for a result.
HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now