Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

High blood pressure continuing15 weeks after ds born....

(15 Posts)
ChablisorSancerre Wed 10-Jun-09 16:19:49

Anybody else been here? Looking for reassurance as Doctors have me scared to death!

BlueBumedFly Wed 10-Jun-09 21:08:52

Are you on iron supplements by any chance?

RumourOfAHurricane Wed 10-Jun-09 21:16:36

Message withdrawn

ChablisorSancerre Thu 11-Jun-09 21:22:14

Blue my iron levels are fine so not on any supplements.

Shine on how long did it take before yours finally went down? GP has me seeing all sorts of doctors and I don't think that's helping!!

A cardiologist yesterday expected me to spend 3 - 4 days in hospital while they "do tests" with a 3 year old and a 3 month old! In another life....

Elibean Thu 11-Jun-09 22:46:19

Poor you, thats so stressful...I had high BP after both my dds were born, and was on medication both times (expected, the second time, but was harder to get under control initially - then went down faster).

The first time it took about 8 weeks, the second time about 5-6 weeks, so not as long as you - but I was on a fairly hefty dose of medication the second time around. Are you on meds? How high is high, for you?

It is important for them to get a clear picture, because if you need meds they usually like to start you on them under supervision...to get the dosage right, etc.

I found the whole process really scary the first time around, and stressful (3 yr old and newborn...) the second time around. I did go back in both times, a few days after first getting home - real pita, but worth it.

I'm fine now, but doctors have warned me I will probalby have raised BP and need meds when I'm older - probably in my 60s or 70s. Something to keep an eye on.

ChablisorSancerre Fri 12-Jun-09 17:27:08

Thanks Elibean. GP has me on 300mg twice daily since I was pregnant which is maintaining a pressure of around 150/90.

They just expected it to have gone down by now, as did I, so was wondering how common it was.

EyeballshasManBoobs Fri 12-Jun-09 17:31:10

I had high bp after dd was born. Was on Labetalol for about 6 months after and I'm sure the business of prolonged doctors etc contributed to my pnd. I think I still have slightly raised bp but am v overweight so not really surprised. I should go back really as it's been about 6 months since I saw dr last...

Elibean Fri 12-Jun-09 21:42:08

Yes, it does usually go down in around 6 weeks post-partum, or so they told me. I think it would be worth going in to get assessed, if you can bear to, and if you can get child care for your older LO...they should let you take your baby in with you, no? If you are BFing, they certainly should - I did, though admittedly she was only a few days old at the time.

Worst case scenario, you may need some sort of maintenance dose...it can happen, though hopefully its just taking a bit longer than the average and will sort itself out.

Good luck, let us know how you get on?

aimingforthesky Sun 14-Jun-09 07:58:12

you should not have to be admitted simply for tests for high blood pressure. all can be done as outpatient and usually within one day. I've worked in this area for 10yrs and only admitted those with BP >220/110.

BP post pregnancy can continue to settle for 6months for some peolple up to a year for some. Make sure your treatment is based on home readings and have a 24hour moniter if you can wear it at home.

ChablisorSancerre Fri 19-Jun-09 11:42:43

Thanks Elibean - would only go in for tests as a last resort!

Aimingforthesky thank you so much - you have made me feel tons better and now have a monitor at home. It is coming down slowly but surely so thanks again.

Bertie123 Wed 01-Jul-09 10:46:22

Hi

I am new to this site, I am too having problems with BP currently 150/90 when I go to the doctors but 130/80 when a midwife takes it! I am also on alot of medication. I had severe pre-eclampsia with my twin pregnancy and gave birth 2 months ago, I am now being referred to hospital for tests. My doctor has told me that my BP is now not related to pregnancy but is hypertension! It is reassuring to know that there are other people out there with the same issue as me because I have been getting really worried about it.

sarahrhianna Wed 01-Jul-09 17:03:13

Hi been there too.

Got pre-eclampsia with DD1 that didn't settle once she was born, had loads of test and scans (all outpatient) and put on medication initailly Labetaolol when bf then amlodipine. Stayed on that for 2 yrs and also whilst pregnant with DS, Blood pressure never been better then when i was pregnant 2 nd time round (110/60 ish!) but still on labetalol as precaution as BF again.
Guess i will always be on something and have to be checked by hospital cardiologist every 6 months but its no big deal taking a tablet each day. At least it is controlled and drs know to keep an eye on me.

Easier said than done but try not to stress.

ChablisorSancerre Fri 03-Jul-09 17:45:55

Oh so glad it's not that unusual. Been waiting 4 weeks now for appointments at outpatients - they are obviously in no rush then!

Have given up worrying about it so maybe that will help to bring it down....

Concordia Mon 06-Jul-09 23:26:08

I'm still on BP medication, DD is now 9 months. I need to lose about 4 stone and maybe that is why. She was delivered a month early because my blood pressure was high and a few days after teh birth it just got higher still. The labetolol didn't cut it so i was on two other drugs. Have managed to stop one of those and lower the other one. Tried amlopodine but bp went up to 150/100 or thereabouts so back on the other one (ramimpril). Was quite freaked out initially but now it's kind of a part of life. reassuring to know it can continue for up to a year.

jarbelle Tue 07-Jul-09 01:06:56

Mine took about 6 months to settle and get off meds after having pe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now