Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Copper Coil Question

(10 Posts)
auntyspan Wed 10-Jun-09 16:14:20

Hi - had a copper coil put in on Monday night. I was at the end of my period but it seems to have restarted - can anyone tell me if this is normal?

JohnnyTwoHats Wed 10-Jun-09 16:16:31

Was about to post and say- don't do it- but too late. I hated mine so much I pulled out my own. Yes its probably not unusual to have restarted but if you get any unusual smelling discharge, abdominal pain or a temperature ring the FPC.

auntyspan Wed 10-Jun-09 16:21:41

I don't fancy it much either but have no alternatives... progesterone-only contraception gives me acne and makes me into a hormonal nightmare, DH is allergic to latex, and I can't take the combined pill as I get migranes.

Not looking forward to the periods but don't feel I have an option!

JohnnyTwoHats Wed 10-Jun-09 16:35:45

Unfortunately one of the side effects of the copper for me was acne- but you may not be sensitive to it of course. I am still trying to get rid of the scars from the acne (which cleared up as soon as coil was removed)

Sympathy for your situation though- exactly same reasons I chose the coil (except ex DP wasn't allergic to latex, just a selfish twat).

auntyspan Wed 10-Jun-09 16:40:45

Well if my skin erupts like it did with the mini-pill / mirena coil then I'm personally frogmarching DH down to the snip clinic!!

JohnnyTwoHats Wed 10-Jun-09 17:00:16

Contraception chez Two Hats now is not an issue. But before I left it was tits or face withdrawal / NFP.

Plonketyplonk Wed 10-Jun-09 18:43:38

I have a coil and it's great. It's just a bog standard copper jobby so no hormones to get spots from! I think a bit of bleeding is normal. Keep an eye and go back if you are in any pain. It's not unknown to get an infection from having the thing fitted, but a course of anti biotics sorts that out.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

JohnnyTwoHats Thu 11-Jun-09 10:13:55

No, no hormones, but do you not think other things affect the balance of the body except for hormones? google copper sensitivity.

12StoneNeedsToBe10 Thu 11-Jun-09 10:17:40

I have the copper coil two - on my second one now so a total of about 5 years. No problems at all. No skin issues but yes, there was a bit of "spotting" after the first one was fitted.

The only difference was that the cramps pre-coil would be before my period started and the flow was heavy at first becoming lighter. Now they are very light at first, then the cramps hit and it gets heavier, and I last about 6-7 days rather than 2-3.

12StoneNeedsToBe10 Thu 11-Jun-09 10:18:12

oops - can't type -

I have the copper coil too blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now