Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone had underactive thyroid?

(8 Posts)
napluster Wed 10-Jun-09 12:00:11

Were your symptoms very vague? Was it difficult to get a diagnosis?
I would like to have my thyroid checked but have not made gp appointent as I think I might just be grasping at straws to find a reason for my apathy and tiredness. I can't really describe my symptoms, just don't feel right.
I think I probably have perfectly good reasons to feel tired and yet I just feel so frustrated with myself. It seems like everyone else copes much better than me and I am worried that I am just lazy.
Feeling quite down and a bit kind of confused aswell. Feel very foggy.
Anyone want to talk or have any experience of this?

Clwc Wed 10-Jun-09 19:01:49

I was diagnosed with sub-clinical hypothyroidism. My thyroid function has since returned to 'normal'. Weird. I do have PCOS, however, so tiredness, not feeling right, weight gain, etc. is just par for the course for me now. It's awful that I can't do many hours of physical work these days, because I am a self-employed gardener. My strength is ok, but I have limited stamina these days. Also, I procrastinate a heck of a lot.

It's not difficult (ie expensive) to get a thyroid function test. The nurse at your local GP surgery can take your blood for that. Just suggest it to your doctor.

I hope you can get some answers soon. xx

Poppity Wed 10-Jun-09 19:17:14

It sounds a possibility, it's worth having a blood test for thyroid function and anaemia with your symptoms. It would be best to speak to your GP about other possible reasons too, but I would imagine he will want to exclude those first anyway.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 10-Jun-09 19:28:37

My DH has underactive thyroid. He was diagosed ages ago (and fine now on thyroxin) so I forget exactly the details or how it came to light but tiredness, weight gain, and sore achilles tendons (odd that last one, but apparently its a recognised symptom). IIRC he was somewhat depressed too.

Do go to your GP -thyroid test is a very standard thing to have done, ditto anaemia. If it is one of those, then its easily treatable so you'd be daft not to ask.

cheshirekitty Wed 10-Jun-09 20:23:00

Get your blood checked. I went to my GP when I was in my early 40's with the same symptoms as you. Tiredness etc. Nothing you could put your finger on. Just a feeling of not being right.

It took 3 visits, but eventually my GP did a blood test which showed I was diabetic. I am not suggesting you are diabetic, merely commenting that you know your body best, and if you feel 'not right', you should get it checked out.

Hope everything works out for you.

HLaurens Wed 10-Jun-09 21:55:17

I was diagnosed with underactive thyroid four years ago. It was caught very early by an extremely good GP, and I'm now on a daily dose of thyroxine. Symptoms were:

-stiff achy joints
-anxiety
-feeling very tired and "fuzzy" - often felt I didn't wake up properly till lunchtime
-no stamina when at the gym
-quite dry skin on hands and feet
-mild constipation
-completely unable to lose weight despite trying to

I wasn't sure that something was wrong, and didn't take the GP seriously when he first suggested thyroid problems. But looking back, I feel much better now!

Clwc Sat 13-Jun-09 01:21:14

Did you sort out an appointment, napluster?

Lol - just got your nickname. Nice one

Daisydaydream Mon 15-Jun-09 14:06:44

Hi, I was diagnosed only a month or 2 ago. My Mum said my neck looked swollen and I should mention it to the Dr. I did, expecting her to dismiss it, but she booked me for a blood test.

It would be worth booking a GP appt and asking about it, especially if there is a family history. It runs down my maternal side so I am the lastest in a long line of under-actives!

I also felt cold and lethargic, no matter how much sleep I had. The tablets have made a big difference. Hope you get things looked at, and feel better soon.

Btw, have you had your iron levels checked too? I'm on iron tablets too now aswell, and feel a million times better than a few weeks ago!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now