Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do you have a copper coil? Give me TMI about your periods.

(7 Posts)
Sullwah Tue 09-Jun-09 20:34:25

I know this has probably been done a thousand times. But I can't find the threads.

I am having my first post-coil period. Instead of having three light days, I am now on day 5 - first 2 were light and the last 3 were the heaviest I have ever had and it shows no sign of stopping.

So..... what is typical for you? Does it really settle down after a few months?

I am beginning to regret my decision to have one inserted.

Tell me it will be alright in the end hmm

nosleeptilbedtime Tue 09-Jun-09 20:41:30

Had copper coil for 5 years and, to be honest periods stayed really heavy throughout. It's a bit of a pain in the bum but I think the fact that it is such a hassle free form of contraceptive makes up for the periods.

no nasty hormones, no pills to remember/forget to take, no weight gain... pretty foolproof.
Plus I got pregnant the month after I had it taken out so it obviously didn't do me any harm.
good luck with it!

howdoo Wed 10-Jun-09 13:50:42

I had it for three years and had two week periods all that time. Which is why I had it taken out last month and then had a blissful 7 day period!
I just got really fed up with it in the end. The Dr said that it is an irritant in the body and so your body can react by bleeding more to try to get rid of it (IYSWIM - it made more sense when he said it!)

dippica Wed 10-Jun-09 13:55:29

I've had mine in for 4 years - have had much heavier periods ever since, and am fed up with it - but can't really find a good replacement contraceptive - kind of feel I want to go au naturel, but trying to convince DH that it's his turn now, is not easy!
Mine is due to come out soon anyway - will need to make some decisions.

WorzselMummage Wed 10-Jun-09 14:01:15

I've just had my first period with my coil and it was unbelievably heavy, i had to empty my mooncup every 2 hours

I hope it settles down.

LilRedWG Wed 10-Jun-09 14:02:33

Mine have been a little heavier but not much. I've had it for a year now.

LilRedWG Wed 10-Jun-09 14:03:02

I think the first one or two were very heavy if I remember correctly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now