Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

do these count towards 5 a day?

(11 Posts)
vannah Mon 08-Jun-09 20:50:22

1 tomato, 1 small onion, juice of 1 lemon, tin of chick peas?

I cant for the life of me eat vegetables but can manage the above. I do eat a tiny bit of fruit everyday...
thankyou

MrsMattie Mon 08-Jun-09 20:51:31

I thought chickpeas counted as protein.

Not sure about the onion or lemon juice

The tomato does, as does tinned tomato or tomato juice.

Dumbledoresgirl Mon 08-Jun-09 20:52:06

Yes they all count though how many portions they count for, I couldn't say.

What have you got against veggies?

cocolepew Mon 08-Jun-09 20:52:59

I'm sure the onion would, not sure about the lemon juice, it might not be enough.

vannah Mon 08-Jun-09 21:14:25

thanks. Dumbledoresgirl, I just cant! I can never find a 'quick' way of eating them like picking up a piece of fruit. I cant make myself munch my way through a carrot or celery stick. Dont like salads. Hate boiled/steamed veg.
Cant be bothered with the hassle of stirfry when only Im eating it...
and so on. Sigh

Rhubarb Mon 08-Jun-09 21:15:48

Take vit C supplements then.

cocolepew Mon 08-Jun-09 21:20:35

Can you drink fruit juice?

Banana sandwich?

ScummyMummy Mon 08-Jun-09 21:23:22

In big enough quantities (about a handful) they all count. So if it was a cherry tomato you might need another few but if it was a beef tomato you're all right. Fruit is just as good in terms of 5 a daying, I believe and ikwym re fruit being easier somehow. Strawberry season is here and peaches and cherries will be here soon so that's good.

cocolepew Mon 08-Jun-09 21:24:43

Asda was selling melons for 25p yesterday, my kitchen looks like their fruit aisle.

JonAndHate Mon 08-Jun-09 22:11:49

portion sizes for fruit

portion sizes for veg

general info

So you need a medium tomato (or 7 cherry tomatoes), a medium fresh onion, 3 heaped table spoons of chick peas and a glass (150ml) of 100% lemon juice.

JonAndHate Mon 08-Jun-09 22:12:45

All that lemon juice might make your salad a bit sharp though wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now