Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Still bleeding 7wks after birth. Normal?

(10 Posts)
Gmac2009 Mon 08-Jun-09 20:38:32

I had my dd in April and I'm still bleeding. Is this normal?

Also when can I use tampons again?
I can't stand these pads. I've had pants on for 49 days!!!!

kalo12 Mon 08-Jun-09 20:41:07

yes normal, i think i was bleeding for about 10-12 weeks. I haven't used tampons since. still got a bit of scar tissue and its just not comfy

congratulations on your dd btw

CMOTdibbler Mon 08-Jun-09 20:41:20

I bled for 12 weeks after DS. Eventually I passed a tiny lump of tissue (about the size of a dice) and the bleeding stopped.

Best to check with your GP though. If the blood smells at all it could be an infection

nickschick Mon 08-Jun-09 20:42:40

Dead normal in my experience but you need to take it easy as its a sign you are overdoing it.

onepieceofcremeegg Mon 08-Jun-09 20:43:49

I had a similar experience to CMOT. I had a couple of small clots.

The bleeding slowed down after 4 weeks or so (average is about 6 weeks I think) but then it was on and off bleeding for about 10 weeks.

I delayed my 6 week check til 7 or 8 weeks, but was still bleeding. GP was going to do an internal if it had gone much longer just to be sure there was no underlying problem.

afaik 7 weeks is still ok. Irritating though. yukky pads.

Gmac2009 Mon 08-Jun-09 20:45:57

Thanks all, it's good to hear this does fall into the normal range.
I has a section and after 4wks
got infection. Was v sore and couldn't do anything really.
Drove for the first time since DD's arrival today, which was fine, but pushing the laden shopping trolley around Asda has brought back the pain. When will this end?
Had emergency section with DS and didn't have any of this...

onepieceofcremeegg Mon 08-Jun-09 20:49:26

Try and take it as easy as you can in terms of physical movement/exercise. This made the bleeding worse for me. (easier said than done I know)

Soon you will be wearing your pretty knickers again without a lumpy damp pad. grin

nickschick Mon 08-Jun-09 20:50:45

Gmac thats just like my 3rd c section i bled for about 10 weeks altho I was v poorly.

caytonjay Tue 04-Aug-09 01:23:24

hi, im 23 and had my baby 10 and a half months ago. i am still bleeding and if i have a break its only for a few days and im heavy.
i went on the depo when i first had my baby and my gp said that this could be the reason how ever i stopped the depo and had in the inplant and nothing as changed, it has not got any better or any worse.
i had a realli bad labour with 2nd degree tear and 2 cuts, lost 3 an half pints of blood and had to have a transfusion.
im really worried as to why i am still bleeding after all this time... as anyone ever expirienced this? and if so can you help please , thank you, emma x

donnymouse Tue 04-Aug-09 18:21:55

I bled for 10 weeks and I had a section and they sucked most of it out.

i noticed it would increase if I did to much. I did not want to go to the doctor and it finally fizzled out after 10 weeks.

Then I did not have a period for over a year because of B/Fing how cool is that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now