Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Closed tear duct and sticky-eye in 9 month old, any suggestions for what might help?

(10 Posts)
ipanemagirl Mon 08-Jun-09 17:47:04

I've had all the drops etc from the gp but he says we have to just keep an eye, keep the eye clean and hope the tear duct opens before we need a procedure to open it.

Are there complementary ways of treating this that any one might recommend?

tkband3 Mon 08-Jun-09 17:50:51

A friend took her DS to a homeopath after being told he would probably have to have surgery to correct his blocked tear duct. The stickiness was worse the next day and she panicked, then on the second day it was completely clear and has continued to be so ever since...

I think the remedy given was calc carb, but I can't be sure and I think for this kind of thing, you should have a proper consultation to ensure you get the right remedy for your baby.

If my DCs get a slightly sticky eye which looks like it might turn into conjunctivitis, I give them euphrasia, which you can get in drop form or the little tablets. It works a treat but probably isn't enough for a blocked clear duct.

HTH

puffylovett Mon 08-Jun-09 17:53:32

my sis did the same as tkband, but it's taken a lot longer to clear the eye unfortunately.

she's just started washing the eye in diluted eyebright / euphrasia tincture and says its really doing the trick

Marzie Mon 08-Jun-09 19:37:15

My doctor advised me to very gently massage the area of my boy's tear duct, upwards, as often as I could (for info, this is literally the area of skin below his eye, in the corner next to his nose). She said she thought it would help as the alternative, the operation to clear the duct, was a bit grim. I massaged away and he was problem-free within days. Good luck!

ilovespinach Mon 08-Jun-09 20:16:23

ds2 had sticky eyes for about 4 months and there was talk of the dreaded operation to clear them. We tried various drops but it was only after seeing another dr and being advised to gently massage the ducts (pushing from the outside in) that they cleared up.

Good luck

ipanemagirl Mon 08-Jun-09 22:45:08

Thanks very much for this advice. I'll try gentle massage and phone around for a homeopath too.

Marzie and ilovespinach when you say massage inwards do you mean from underneath the eye towards the inner corner of the eye?

ilovespinach Wed 10-Jun-09 12:32:48

Hi ipanemagirl , yes you got it - idea is to squeeze out the gunk Be prepared your dc will NOT like it....

ipanemagirl Wed 10-Jun-09 13:29:55

thanks for the advice!

LeonieSoSleepy Wed 10-Jun-09 18:08:37

Message withdrawn

ipanemagirl Wed 10-Jun-09 19:04:06

Thanks for advice, so how close to the corner of the eye do you rub Leoniesosleepy?
I'm so paranoid of making it worse, it's been getting better lately, since I've put some bmilk in actually.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now