Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Which one of the contraceptive pills helps with acne?

(17 Posts)
nevergoogledragonbutter Mon 08-Jun-09 16:13:33

I've forgotten the name of the one I want to ask for.
Can anyone else remember?

Bucharest Mon 08-Jun-09 16:14:16

Is it Dianette? Or something similar- Dianey something?

BananaFruitBat Mon 08-Jun-09 16:15:13

Dianette (sp?)

littlelamb Mon 08-Jun-09 16:16:51

Celeste works too. Made me feel absolutely awful though

nevergoogledragonbutter Mon 08-Jun-09 16:18:47

LL, did it make you feel worse than acne does?

i think Dianette might be the one i was thinking of. Thanks.

Meglet Mon 08-Jun-09 16:20:49

Its dianette. I was on it for 10 years as it minimises excess hair too.

littlelamb Mon 08-Jun-09 16:22:54

Much worse. My spots weren't even that bad tbh, but I thought going on a particular pill might help. I felt very wooly-headed and nauseous on it, and I think it put me in quite a low mood. I tried Yasmin after that which was great (and if the blurb is to be believed will help you lose weight). I know it's bloody patronising when people 'suggest' things that will make it better, but lots of water and giving up caffine and sugar made my skin as clear as a baby's. I think the ones that combat acne are known to induce a low mood tbh. If you have bad acne (and you bloody don't, I'm assuming it's for someone else) and there's absolutely no chance of you concieving, my friend went on roaccutane. Pretty horrific potential side effects but her skin problems have disappeared

nevergoogledragonbutter Mon 08-Jun-09 16:26:33

i'm contemplating sending you a picture of my chin at this stage LL.

what's yasmin then?
<off to google>>

steamedtreaclesponge Mon 08-Jun-09 16:27:59

Dianette - also goes under various other brand names, see here. I'm currently on the generic one called co-cyprindiol. I've been on it for years and it's the only thing that works for my skin. I've never had any side-effects from it.

littlelamb Mon 08-Jun-09 16:28:27

But you are changing jobs and moving house and country! I diagnose stress and prescribe a facial, massage and pampering day.
<gavel>

Mumsnut Mon 08-Jun-09 16:30:05

Dianette - but I put on 5 stone

nevergoogledragonbutter Mon 08-Jun-09 16:31:51

no pampering for me your honour.
<presents bank statement>

nevergoogledragonbutter Mon 08-Jun-09 16:36:24

I don't drink coffee and my caffeine intake is fairly limited. I've been dieting so sugar intake is lower too.
Have lost a few pounds, but am feeling particularly oily and spotty since i stopped taking the pill in a fit of fed upness.
I got fed up of taking the pill but forgetting to take it every day and therefore never actually feeling confident in the contraceptive cover.
I forgot how it was keeping my skin nice.

newdirection Mon 08-Jun-09 16:43:15

Was thinking of starting a thread about dianette, but will just have a slight hyjack if you dont mind as there are lots of people here who know about it.

I take Dianette at the moment for skin and it is helping - am due tyo go away for 2 1/2 weeks at the end of the month and this will coincide with when my next break is due - will I be able to run packs together and then have 7 days off when I return?

Thaks in advance.

steamedtreaclesponge Mon 08-Jun-09 16:44:58

Yes, you can run packs together - I do this all the time, have checked with various GPs and they all say it's fine, as long as you have a break every 2/3 packs.

emma1977 Mon 08-Jun-09 21:32:57

Dianette is good for skin, but there is evidence that it raises your risk of blood clots. Therefore, it is not recommended for long-term use and should be stopped once your skin has been better for 3-4 months.

A better alternative, especially if you also need reliable contraception would be another combined pill such as Cilest or Yasmin.

nevergoogledragonbutter Tue 09-Jun-09 07:41:28

thanks, i'll have a chat with my GP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now