Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

combined pill - how does it work?

(7 Posts)
bumbly Mon 08-Jun-09 15:12:43

you miss a pill you are in trouble..preg risk etc

but apparently you are protected in 7 days you don't take pill if you take 21 pills befroehand ok

how does that wotrk then?

can someone please explain as am completely confused!

how can those 7 days be different from when you miss a pill?

Seona1973 Mon 08-Jun-09 19:58:04

you would need to have taken all the 21 pills to remain protected in the 7 pill free days - I assume the hormone levels build up over the 21 days and then the levels drop a bit in the pill free days and thats why you get a withdrawal bleed. You dont get proper periods with the combined pill as it stops you ovulating so the bleed you get in between packs is due to the lowering hormone levels not because your body was preparing for a baby.

emma1977 Mon 08-Jun-09 21:29:40

The combined pill works by switching the ovaries off and preventing ovulation. Roughly, speaking it takes 7 consecutive pills to turn them off and 7 consecutive pill-free days to wake them up.

It isn't true that all missed pills are risky. The 1st 7 in the pack should never be missed. Missing 1 or 2 of the middle 7 isn't a big deal as long as you take the rest of the pack correctly. Missing 1 of the last 7 isn't a big deal either as long as you then skip the pill-free week and run the next pack on.

However, its less confusing and more cautious to tell women to use precautions for 7 days after every missed pill!

bumbly Tue 09-Jun-09 14:03:17

thank you so much - think i get it more now!

bumbly Tue 09-Jun-09 15:19:14

can i ask another stupid question

cuz of way period started when started taking pill it was at night of day period started

by each night isn't pill losing its effectivess and say i have sex before taking eve pill is that risky? or does pill last more than 24 hours?

does this make sense

basically i take pill late eve

if have sex early afternoon/eve does that mean am at cusp of yesterday eve's pill effectivenss??

emma1977 Tue 09-Jun-09 21:00:01

You should be covered. Relax!

bumbly Wed 10-Jun-09 14:35:52

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now