Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can anyone diagnose me? (cos my gynae consultants can't)

(10 Posts)
Kentishwoman Mon 08-Jun-09 13:09:04

Sorry, this is a bit long. Background is that I'm 33, have one DS aged 20 months and have never had any period/gynae probs. About a year ago I started getting pains (dull ache, but sometimes very intense) in the lower RHS of my pelvic area. Always worse in the middle of the night and after exercise. No other symptoms. I soon realised the pains were completely in tune with my cycle - they started, very intensely, within hours of taking my first Pill, got progressively better over the rest of the cycle until I couldn't feel them at all, then returned as soon as I took the first Pill again. I had a blood test to rule out liver/kidney problems, then gynae consultant did an ultrasound. Found a small (2cm) fibroid on my uterus, which she thought was degenerating and was probably causing the pain. She said it would get better on its own in a few months.

Two months ago, I had a follow up appt. As promised, the pain had almost gone, so I expected the consultant to sign me off. However, it was a different consultant, and he was v dubious that the pain would be fibroid-related. He offered me a laparoscopy to investigate, but I said no because the pain was hardly there any more. About a week later, I came off the Pill to start TTC2, and my cycle has not yet settled down. However, in the last few days, I've started getting the pains again, and they're as bad as they were at the start.

I'm now really scared that there's something seriously wrong, or that whatever it is might stop me conceiving, or cause problems in pregnancy. Has anyone experienced anything similar to this, or have any idea what it could be?? Should I have a laparoscopy to find out what's wrong? And if I do book one in, what happens if I get pregnant in the meantime - can they still do it or not? Thanks for reading!

thirtysomething Mon 08-Jun-09 13:13:21

Have you ever been investigated for endometriosis? Can cause a lot of pain and doesn't show up on a scan. I had some ovarian cysts and a slightly twisted ovary that were all sorted out during a laparoscopy and the pain (an occasional "twisting" sensation) stopped. Before that I had had problems conceiving; afterwards I conceived straight away, before having another period! It really wasn't that bad - hurt for a day afterwards but I'm convinced I wouldn't have my two gorgeous DCs without it!!

Kentishwoman Mon 08-Jun-09 13:25:37

My GP mentioned endometriosis, but the consultants thought it probably wasn't, on the basis that I didn't have any other symptoms (eg bleeding) and the pain occurred after my period rather than during it. Having said that, I frankly didn't have a huge amount of confidence in either of them. But you definitely make me feel better about having a laparoscopy smile.

thirtysomething Mon 08-Jun-09 13:27:53

A laparoscopy is the only definitive way to check what's going on down there......It does involve a General Anaesthetic but I think the whole thing only takes 20 minutes or so....I recovered very quickly (though was in my 20s at the time!) Good luck with it all

Kentishwoman Mon 08-Jun-09 13:30:48

Thanks. Just curious now - do you have to stay in hospital, or is it an outpatient thing?

Kentishwoman Mon 08-Jun-09 13:31:28

Oh, and if it's a general anaesthetic, do I assume they wouldn't be able to do it if I was pregnant?

thirtysomething Mon 08-Jun-09 15:00:56

Not sure about the prgenant thing - I know I had to have a pregnancy test before mine so I guess it wouldn't be wise as could damage a foetus potentially? I stayed in hopsital overnight as had it done late in the day - if you have it in the morning I should think you may be allowed home the same day.

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 08-Jun-09 16:33:36

I would seriously consider a laparoscopy; its usually the way endometriosis is diagnosed for instance.

They won't do a lap if you are pregnant. Its usually done as well a day case but you may well stay in overnight. They will need to see that you have eaten, drunk and used the toilet before discharging you from hospital.

If you have a lap you should be followed up a week post op. This is also to discuss the findings of the op, they should not be discussing the op at all with you when you're in the recovery room!. Apart from anything else its poor practice.

Kentishwoman Tue 09-Jun-09 08:23:32

Thanks for the info. Bit of a quandary, then - I guess we should stop TTC until I can get the op done. I've managed to bring my consultant appt forward to next week, so that's something. But I seem to remember him saying there was a 6-8 week wait for a laparoscopy, which will be a bit frustrating.

thirtysomething Tue 09-Jun-09 09:02:20

It may be frustrating but logically it is better to check any potential probs before you get pregnant again just in case they hinder successful pregnancy?

FWIW I got pregnant INTSTANTLY after the lap - had been trying for 2 years after that! It does kind of open a window of opportunity!! Second pregnancy was instant too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now